Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week

The Vanguard Players Website announces that Vanguard Saga of Heroes will be transitioning to a free-to-play model a week from Tuesday (thanks VG247). Here's what they have been doing to prepare for the new phase for this MMORPG:

The Vanguard Saga of Heroes transition to free-to-play is just around the corner! We are pleased to announce that the official launch date is Tuesday, August 14, 2012! Mark the date on your calendar!

Over the past couple of months, we have been working hard to improve the game in order to prepare for the influx of new and returning players. If you have not heard about all the changes, check them out for yourself in game and out of game! In the coming week, you'll start to notice even more changes as we move toward the official free-to-play launch.

Some of the more notable changes include:

• New Website: Our official website has received a major facelift and has a new URL - http://www.vanguardthegame.com.
  • Vanguard Marketplace: The Vanguard Marketplace offers several categories to browse - Services, Mounts and Pets, Appearance and Equipment, and Housing.
  • Starting Areas Revamp: New characters will now start one of the following starting areas: Cliffs of Ghelgad, Tanvu, Three Rivers Village, Tursh Village, or the Isle of Dawn.
  • Removed Class Restrictions: We removed the class restrictions for all races. You can now create that special combination of character that you dreamed about making!

To view more changes, check out all the recent game update notes and log in game today!

We hope to see you in Vanguard soon!

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week Aug 6, 2012, 13:31 saluk

PropheT wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 23:33:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:09:
Only now with GW2 do we have an MMO that encourages cooperation without forced grouping... and it's been what? 13 or 14 years since EQ came out.

Warhammer did that with public quests years ago and Rift does it with zone invasions and open grouping for events. That sure as hell isn't something revolutionary that they came up with for GW2. Honestly, even the implementation of it has been done better elsewhere.

WAR PQ has people queuing around hubs, and forming a party capable of actually finishing the quest. After the quest is over, everyone leaves. They also aren't as well worked into the story. Rift just turns into a big craziness with everyone on the map going to one place. It also interrupts the flow of normal questing.

Both games still have the same tagging mobs and exp sharing nonsense outside of their public quest side systems. When you make a claim that something's been done better, you need to say where and how. GW2 events are local, so you don't have everyone on a map rush them, only whoever is around. They discourage camping like warhammmers version. And they chain, encouraging people to stick together a bit longer to see as many events as they can see. Plus, even outside of events, you don't have to decide whether it will be worth the exp loss or loot drop loss to group with someone.

PropheT wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 23:33:
Vanguard had some revolutionary designs in its gameplay that weren't copied until well after it went live, as far as I know. Defensive target mechanics were something I'd never seen prior to Vanguard, for example, and I still don't know why that hadn't been implemented into WoW since it was always flat out better than focus targeting.

Yeah vanguard was trying a lot of new things. I really liked the political mini game. I think there are things in that game that still haven't really been copied. I also liked the wide open world with no instances, although that wasn't entirely new. The problem was it's implementation fell far short of expectation, and I think it even didn't live up to what the developers had been trying to make. And bugs, so many bugs

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo