Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

IGN - Is Metacritic Ruining The Games Industry?
It also leads to some very dodgy behaviour from the publisher side of things. Iíve been told stories of PR executives working on particular games being directed to specifically target these smaller sites in the hope of raising that average score and covering up a less enthusiastic reception from the big outlets. For most people working in games marketing, Metacritic will come up during their annual review process, and a less-than-ideal average score for a game will sometimes result in a severe bollocking.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

40. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2012, 09:56 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 09:29:
LoL Beamer still spewing your corporate culture bullshit.

I just used D3 as a recent example. But lets stick to hypotheticals.

Say that a game, lets call it GameAAA was released with almost universal acclaim by profesional reviewers, but a significant percentage of user reviews (lets say 30% for argument's sake) gave it very negative reviews 0/10 or even 1/10.

Would you really ignore their reviews, would you still buy the game without even reading some of those scalding reviews??

Your first sentence is idiotic. How you can possibly construe that as "corporate culture bullshit"... christ it's a stupid thing to say.

Do you know what game is worth 0s? Big Rig Racing. Do you know what game is not worth 0s? Virtually every other game.

I'm sorry if feeling that someone should have either paid for a game or played a game before rating it makes me a "corporate culture bullshit[er]." Disagreeing probably makes you kind of stupid.

You really think a review is valid if it comes from someone that has not played it? That's as moronic as the idiots sending death threats to critics that said Dark Knight Rises is "just ok," despite the kid at home also having not seen it.

Anyone that gave Diablo 3 a 0 without having played it or purchased it is a fanboy, plain and simple. This goes for the morons giving it a 10, too. Oh, wait, I can't say that, it goes against your idiotic view of me. I'll fix it. "Every game should be rated by overly passionate idiots before they play it, meaning every game should be swarmed with 0s or 10s by people that are too stupid to understand that not everything is exactly what they wanted."

If Deus Ex: HR hadn't been leaked its Metacritic user score would have been all 0s, too, by morons that felt it was too shiny and too yellow and too Press-X-To-Win and too highlighting-ladders-to-be-too-easy. Stupid "fans" fans either freak out because it's different and give it 0s without playing it, and other stupid fans drool and give it 10s without playing it due to the name. Neither is a valid opinion.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo