Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

The Best Deals of July in Digital Games on Amazon (thanks nin via Shacknews) has a load of huge discounts, and today's deals are up in the Steam summer sale, while there's still time to get in on yesterday's as well (not to mention the Flash deals). Here's a big batch of sale items

• Achtung Panzer: Operation Star - Sokolovo 1943 on GamersGate. Save 19%.
  • Achtung Panzer: Operation Star on GamersGate. Save 38%.
  • Achtung Panzer: Operation Star - Volokonovka 1942 (summer) on GamersGate. Save 47%.
  • Afterfall: InSanity on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • Anno 2070 on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Battlefield 3 Ultimate Shortcut on GameStop PC Downloads. Save 33%.
  • The Binding of Isaac on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Borderlands on GamersGate. Save 67%.
  • Breaking The Rules The Roman Tournament on GamersGate. Save 71%.
  • From Dust on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • Grand Theft Auto IV on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • Hacker Evolution Collection on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Hacker Evolution Duality on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Hacker Evolution Untold on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Indie Bundle II on Steam. Save 75%.
  • L.A. Noire on GamersGate. Save 80%.
  • Max Payne 3 on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Metacell on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • Metacell Soundtrack Bundle on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • PAYDAY: The Heist on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Pitiri 1977 on GamersGate. Save 50%.
  • The Sims 3 Plus Showtime on GamersGate. Save 33%.
  • Stardrone on GamersGate. Save 85%.
  • Sonic Generations on Steam. 3Save 66%.
  • Storm over the Pacific on GamersGate. Save 66%.
  • Summer Indie Drop on GOG.com. Save 50%.
  • Sword of the Stars on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Sword of the Stars Argos Naval Yard on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Sword of the Stars: Born of Blood on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Sword of the Stars Complete Collection on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Sword of the Stars: A Murder of Crows on GamersGate. Save 75%.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai on GameStop PC Downloads. Save 67%.
  • Tribes: Ascend - Steam Starter Pack on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Ubisoft Strategy and Sim Games on GOG.com. Save 50%.
  • Unity of Command on GamersGate. Save 40%.
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine on Steam. Save 75%.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

55. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 06:27 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 21:56:
What do you guys think about this Fray game that's currently a flash deal?

It's rare to see a game that requires 64bit.
Reading the forums sounds like its a disaster. An indie project released WAY before its ready (financial reasons perhaps?), in basically an alpha state.
The metacritic at 32, user reviews at 0.2
IGN 2/10
Escapist 1/5

On its release date last month, apparently no one was able to register and login to their game account for the first couple days.

They had to REMOVE 32bit compatibility because it had such serious continual crash bugs that it was unplayable in 32 bit, as well as apparently negatively effecting other players in the servers. They say thats temporary, but notice how 32 bit hasn't been restored and its a month after release?

It doesn't have a single player component, or even bots (which moves it down on my list, but some people may not care).

Steam has actually been granting refunds to people who have complained about this one.

In an attempt to placate early adopters (and probably boost MP population from the very low amount its been in the first few weeks after release) they've been sending out a free extra CD key to everyone who bought the game early. Which is why its been showing up in steam trade a fair amount.

A new review a couple weeks after release has it at 5.5/10
http://gamerlimit.com/2012/07/gamer-limit-review-fray/
Although it does say "still be considered unfinished." So if it continues to improve at that rate, I'm hopeful at some point it would be a worthwhile purchase. I doubt I'd want to pay more than $5 to test that theory though.

So, thats what my pre-purchase research turned up when I checked into it after seeing it on the flash deal page. I DID however add it to my wishlist and will revisit it at a later date. Hopefully it will get patched up enough to be playable.

Alamar wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 22:50:
I don't understand why Valve doesn't have 'add to cart' links on the main page... I bet that would single-handedly solve all their major sale bandwidth/overload issues...

-Alamar
Thats one of the many many small tweaks they could do on steam to make it easier to use. Its only just recently they bothered to let people do a search of friends list (probably finally got around to copying the library search code). One could go with my standard valve explanation of uninteresting for the employees on wheels and they need to hire some UI experts, or come up with their own explanation. The sad part is that steam has been out for many years and is still in this state.

If EA had bothered to work on origin just a teeny tiny bit before release, they could have stomped all over valve/steam in terms of a polished and pleasing to use client. If someone would have asked "how can we make origin better and easier to use than our main competitor" it could have been so much better. It would have still been an uphill battle, but it would have been a start. I tried it with my existing EA games and it was even worse than steam. And EA is just about the worst publisher around in so many ways, compared to valve which is one of the best and has been an incredible boon for indie games, as well as revolutionizing PC game delivery.
That and the fact that most of my games are on steam means that for the foreseeable future, I'm not going to bother to buy anything on origin. The only non steam EA game that remotely interests me is BF3, but there's other alternatives for that style of game if thats the kinda gameplay I want.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 06:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo