Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules

A new article on the ArenaNet Blog outlines "The Golden Rules" of Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMORPG sequel, saying every aspect of the game has been touched and shaped by one or more of them. They go into detail on each of the following precepts:

• Make the world come alive
  • Cooperation is key
  • Play the game, not the UI
  • Take risks
  • Do it well or donít do it at all
  • Respect the player

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 23:39 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 15:08:
Co-op is indeed key. It's amazing how much more fun and cool your fellwo players are when they don't have to fight for the same mobs and resources. I'm still blown away by how helpful and friendly the vast majority of people are simply by using this model. It boggles the mind no one has done it long before now. And yes, let's get some more beta action happening asap!

Different Dev mindset. Blizzard devs actually like the player base at each others throats.

The difference there is about 7.5 years of development and game cycles. It was that way in WoW because that is what was expected of an MMO. That's how it was in EQ, DaOC, and AC before WoW. I honestly think that without the player base explosion that WoW received near the end of TBC and during WotLK that these inherent design flaws would have never become apparent. Thankfully, that player base explosion happened and now we know what happens when players and developers start to realize that that kind of game design is not conducive to constructing and maintaining a community of players. From my experiences in the BWEs this is probably the best design decision that ANet made, and will hopefully carry over into future generation MMOs. I love that I can walk up to an event and take part in it with no competition, and even walk away from it with a couple new people to talk to and run around with.

Though, I am also with Cutter in that I think their staunch anti-"trinity" class design decision may be their Achilles heel. Even if they don't want to relegate players to a single class role choice, there are steps they could take for those players that want to play a tank or healer feel more valuable to the game. If they want class roles to be open ended, more player choice is not a bad thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo