Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise

Former baseball star Curt Schilling was interviewed this morning on the Dennis & Callahan sports radio show on WEEI in Boston in the first such appearance since the demise of 38 Studios, the developer he founded. Boston.com quotes some of the conversation where Schilling spoke of investing all of his personal assets into the company while never a penny back out. He also says his former employees "have every right to be upset" as they were "blindsided" by the studio's closure after he promised a month or two of advance warning, admitting he "bombed on that one in epic fashion." He also describes the last ditch effort to save the company that failed because Rhode Island refused to go along with the plan, and addresses accusations that his acceptance of tax credits and loan guarantees from the state were hypocritical in light of his outspoken conservative viewpoints: "I don't know how that correlates to this. I donít have any problem with government helping entrepreneurs and businesses." Thanks JJ.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:07 Cutter

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:35:
Hold on a second. What most conservatives, at least fiscal conservatives complain about is rewarding those that refuse to work when they're capable of it.

Well, that depends on your definition of work and who's paying the bills. Cheap labour conservatives always like to argue that illegal immigrants are needed because Americans don't want to do the hard and dirty work, which is an outright lie, they just don't want to do it for slave wages on which they house, feed, and clothe themselves nevermind a family. And when it comes to sticking their snouts in the public trough they have no problem with it. That's the sort of hypocrisy and greed that really gets on my tits. Let's end free trade and get back to fair trade.

I don't think anyone is against helping out small businesses (not that 38 Studios really fits into that category) or having a safety net for veterans or people who are truly disabled that can't work.

If that were remotely true America wouldn't be in the mess it's in right now. If the 1%ers were actually paying their fair share it wouldn't be a problem at all.

You're using the usual liberal stereotype that only Republicans are rich. Or only Republicans get corporate lobbying etc. Which is total bs. Oprah's pretty rich, Bill Cosby and most of liberal hollywood are pretty rich, Obama's certainly not a poor man. Warren Buffet, who's company owes billions in back taxes is a liberal last I checked.

I never said there weren't rich liberals. I'm just saying their hypocrisy doesn't go nearly as far. To quote Bud Fox, 'How much is enough? How many yachts do you need to water ski behind?'

Obama didn't need to bail GM out with tax payer money, they could and SHOULD have filed for bankruptcy and refinanced/restructured themselves. GM still owes the taxpayers millions, and guess what we'll never see it. The only entity that won out in that deal was the auto workers union, surprise surprise. Same thing with Crysler, the kicker there? Crysler is now owned by a European car maker.

Obama is not a liberal, he's a libertarian. And it's not like the guy had a lot of choice. Regardless, I don't think anyone is happy with Obama at this point. However, the alternatives - so far at least - are worse.

The man added 5 trillion to the debt in 3 and half years. Has yet to pass a single budget since coming into office, has wasted tons on a failed stimulus, failed green energy companies, all on the tax payer's dime.

Well it's hard to get anything done when the other half of the government refuses to budge, much less bend on anything. The democrats have been compromising over and over and over for decades now. When is the GOP ever going to start?

This whole liberal myth that only republican's or big "republican" companies get bailouts is exactly that, a myth.

Well who do these companies give most of their money to? It's sure not the democrats. Though in fairness, Bush Sr. was opposed to bailing out the S&L's in the 80s. Truth be told, the guy was acutally a good president and I wish he would have had a second term. As I've always stated, I'm a centrist that leans left, but I do have rightist tendancies too.

No doubt Schilling didn't know wtf he was doing and had the wrong people handling 38 studio's finances, however, if I'm an employee of a company that says they're going to "take care of" selling my house, I would certainly be more involved in the process than just blindly trusting they did so or were making on time payments.

Ok, we both agree on that. Question is, how is he going to make it right? You can't just talk about personal responsibility or it means nothing. The buck stopped with him and he owes it to those people to make it right. And I know you agree with that sentiment.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo