Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

6. Re: On Sale Jun 22, 2012, 12:47 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 10:00:
I actually thought The Missing Link was superior to the main game, at least where the boss fights are concerned. Missing Link did it right - by letting you fight the boss on your terms, like the rest of the game.

So question for ya - and I'm going to assume we're past the statute of limitations on spoilers here, so those that haven't played can just skip the rest of this...

I'd heard (not sure if it's true now) there was a way to not fight the boss in TML? Yet for me it was a straight shootout. Is it because I was on a murderous rampage through every other room? And had I been a bit um...less violent, I would have had another option?

That's funny, because I just saw a post about a making of Star Trek II video where it warned of spoilers in mentioning that Spock died. And that movie is 30 years old...

Anyway, to answer the question, sort of. And just to avoid further spoilers, I'll use tags.

Regardless of how you enter the room, the boss is in the same place. I think you can snipe him from the entrance (not sure about that, as I never really used guns), or go in guns blazing and shoot him from one of the doorways. Or you can sneak in and drop down on him from above. In any case, as long as you manage to approach him unseen, you can use the take down move, either lethal or non. So the boss fight still happens, technically, but you have the option of knocking him out, not using any weapons, and not getting shot at. That's something that wasn't possible with the other boss fights, and it's a shame. Ideally the player should be able to avoid the fight altogether, but TML's implementation was a vast improvement on the main game, especially for us players who chose to tailor their characters for stealth and non-violence.

Also, it is heavily implied that if you knock him out, the boss guy is killed by the guy who's helping you throughout the DLC. So the end result is essentially the same for story reasons, but at least player choice is there; it just doesn't really affect the story. Considering the fact that the DLC takes place in between chapters in the main game, it would be hard to have a character that you left alive still make sense in the story of the main game, since he'd be around to warn his colleagues about the player.

But I'm hopeful that DX4 will do boss fights correctly from the ground up, so that more story choice is involved.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2012, 12:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo