Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners

WSJ has word that Blizzard will be offering some Diablo III owners in South Korea refunds over complaints about connectivity issues impeding play that prompted the Korean FTC to raid Blizzard's Seoul offices (thanks VG247). Here's word:

In a message posted on its website, the company said Diablo III players who are less than Level 40, about two-thirds of the way through the program can apply for a refund from June 25 to July 3.

Blizzard will also accept returns from any players less than Level 20, around a third of the way through the program within 14 days of purchase from now on.

In early June, the company set up more servers in Korea to cope with connectivity issues. To compensate users further, Blizzard said it would offer Diablo III users a 30 day free trial of another hot online game, Star Craft: Wings of Liberty.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

40. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 22, 2012, 12:28 Creston

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 21:22:
The original poster decried the lack of commitment in the US to increasing the availability of fast data services. He referred to such services as "infrastructure." I simply pointed out the differences in scale between SK and the US, and (sarcastically) that the definition of "infrastructure" today is "anything I'd like to have, but want other people to pay for." Data service is NOT "infrastructure" ... it is a luxury. And it is a luxury that the American people don't seem to want to pay for. If they did, Verizon wouldn't have stopped converting old copper to FIOS. There's no interest among large groups of Americans to create a high-speed network for everyone with their disposable income. So, what is the other funding option? Force people to pay for something they don't want (but you do) through the government's forcible confiscation of wages, under the guise of "infrastructure." Well, sorry, but that doesn't fly...

Verizon didn't stop rolling out FIOS because there was no demand. They stopped rolling out FIOS because they'd done their most dense markets, and didn't really care about the less dense ones. There's plenty of people who'd LOVE to get FIOS, and Verizon doesn't care to roll it out to their neighborhood.

So... is that the customer's fault, in your opinion?

And actually, the government has this wonderful initiative in place that gives subsidies to Telcos to deploy high-end data infrastructure to rural areas. (It used to be just phones and they use the same thing for "broadband" internet access now.)

Sadly, like with all things government does, all the initiative does is pay out money to AT&T and Time Warner and its ilk, and they just put it in the bank while rolling out exactly zero meters of fiber to any rural area.

So yeah, there is actually funds available to get more of America connected in a decent fashion. It's just not being used that way because the government is fucking incompetent and the Telcos are just thieves.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo