Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play

Crytek CEO tells Videogamer.com that Crytek is moving towards developing only free-to-play games. "Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience," he told them at E3. "What this entails is that our future, all the new games that we're working on, as well new projects, new platforms and technologies, are designed around free-to-play and online, with the highest quality development."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

69. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 23:58 Jerykk

Hiding vehicles behind credit walls rewards the better players, which only further imbalances the game. At least in T2 everybody had an equal chance with the vehiclse. If vehicles aren't balanced then that should be addressed directly, even if it means vehicles are limited to transportation / mainly defensive.

I'm not really sure you can balance vehicles in a game with infantry. You either make the vehicles really weak so they can be destroyed with any weapon (ala T1) or you force infantry to carry specific anti-vehicle weapons (ala T2 and T:A). Since you have a two-weapon limit in T:A and only a specific heavy class can carry the homing missile launcher (which fires missiles that are slower than Shrikes and easily avoided), that kinda screws infantry over.

In my opinion, vehicles really have no place in any Tribes game. Infantry already has great speed and mobility thanks to skiing, along with massive firepower in the form of mortar launchers, disc launchers, grenade launchers, etc. Throwing in vehicles just ruins the game's balance.

If you enjoy vehicles more than regular combat then it would be considered grinding. To be fair I much preferred the support vehicles in T2, like the HAVOC Gunship Transport or the Jericho Mobile Point Base.

I think it's safe to say that T:A just isn't your cup of tea. T2 was easily the most vehicle-focused Tribes game, as Dynamix was trying to force their original vision for the series upon players. It was overcompensation for how vehicles were mostly ignored in T1. If you want vehicle-centric gameplay, you're better off waiting for Planetside 2.

I know, but I dislike the entire concept of unlockables. To me it cheapens the entire game and rewards the players who put in the most time or have the most skill by giving them advantages over lesser players. Rewards should be cosmetic, in which case I would highly favour rewarding the better players. The game itself should be what keeps people playing, not getting the next unlock or being able to use vehicles.

I agree completely. Cosmetic unlockables are fine but having to unlock classes, weapons, items, perks, etc, in a competitive multiplayer game is just stupid. Unfortunately, it seems to be the popular trend right now and exists in almost all modern multiplayer games, F2P or not. However, if you find the fundamental gameplay enjoyable, having to unlock things is less of an issue because you're having fun in the process.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo