Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating

38 Studios has declared bankruptcy, a company spokesman tells The Providence Journal, and the paper also reports that the Rhode Island State Police inform them that state and federal authorities have launched an investigation into the videogame company founded by former major league pitcher Curt Schilling (thanks Nomaar). They don't have details on the nature of the inquiries, saying simply that Rhode Island State Police superintendent Col. Steven G. O'Donnell says that his agency, the FBI, the U.S. Attorney's office, and the Rhode Island attorney general "are working together to investigate activities that have recently come to light at 38 Studios." In 2010 38 Studios secured a now-infamous $75 million in loan guarantees from Rhode Island to relocate to the ocean state, and trouble repaying that loan preceded the layoff of their staff last month. Here's the statement from the company about its bankruptcy:

"This action comes after several weeks when the company has reviewed, considered and received the recommendations and advice with respect to potential avenues for relief that are currently available. After ongoing negotiations with the State of Rhode Island and potential investors and other interested parties, the Company has been unable to find a solution to the current stalemate."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

45. Re: 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating Jun 8, 2012, 17:54 m00t

Just for full disclosure, I personally know 5 of the former employees of 38 who had been involved for over 2 years (well, 1 of them just under a year). There was more going on than just Chafee thinking this wasn't a business RI should be investing in, but that's obvious to anyone without blinders on. You don't magically miss a loan payment just because the Governor isn't thrilled with the deal.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo