Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Patched

The Diablo III Website announces a new version 1.0.2a patch is now live for the action/RPG sequel. This includes updated tooltips for fixes in the recent hotfix and a couple of reduced rewards for replaying a couple of quests. The Patches Scrolls has a manual edition of the patch for those having problems with the automatic update. Here are the patch notes:

General

• Tooltips for the following class abilities have been updated to reflect changes made in patch 1.0.2 and previous hotfixes:
    • Demon Hunter
      • Smoke Screen (Skill Rune Lingering Fog)
    • Monk
      • Fists of Thunder (Skill Rune Quickening)
      • Mantra of Healing (Skill Rune Boon of Inspiration)
    • Wizard
      • Energy Armor (Skill Rune Force Armor)
  • Nigel Cutthroat has recently fallen on hard times and will now drop lower quality items when slain
  • Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Get the Soul of Azmodan" have been reduced
  • Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Go to the Keep" have been removed

Auction House

• The maximum duration for posted auctions has been reduced from 48 hours to 36 hours

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

59. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 2, 2012, 12:03 peteham

eunichron wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 02:17:
Dades wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 01:30:
eunichron wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:04:
I think you guys are suffering from a false sense of nostalgia. As you all said, you played Diablo 2 for years, as did I... but after years of Diablo 2 how long was it before you had personally found every unique/set item in the game? How long was it until your character had the absolute best gear possible?

People found uniques and sets while leveling, never said anything about having the best stuff. It was just cool to find interesting items instead of generic crap and only having a chance at the best stuff when you hit level 60 as if the game was an MMO. The thing about Diablo II was that it had the generic crap that is the loot of Diablo III but it also had all of the interesting stuff on top of that which is pretty important.

I'd agree as far as legendaries. At the very least in Diablo 2 even extremely low level uniques were useful in some very specific builds. As it is the legendaries in Diablo 3 are pretty generic and don't offer anything unique over their rare counterparts, other than maybe an additional stat. At the very least Blizzard has said they're taking a second look at the power of legendaries and will be buffing them... but what I'd really like to see are more unique stat bonuses (such as Dual Leech from Diablo 2) to actually make them desirable for certain builds. However, as far as drop rate, I don't have a problem with it currently. I've found two legendaries while playing to date, my friend found 3 in a matter of hours while farming mats for the Whimseyshire staff. As I said in my previous post, that is the nature of random loot.
I think Dades is spot on here as well. It's not just the drop rate, but it's the overall generic feeling of all the loot in the entire game. Every item now is essentialy locked to a level-range with a specific stats budget, and with random stats. You can either hope to get extremely lucky, or just use large-scale statistics to your advantage and use the AH. There's no specific items/builds to shoot for. The entire gaming experience from 1-60 feels like a WoW-like grind where the entire journey and everything you pick up on the way is throw-away junk in the end because you know that once you unlock the next bracket, anything you've got on you will be easily replaceable over the course of a few hours. Holy leveled loot, Batman.... Diablo 2 sure as hell wasn't like this.

Diablo 2 had this staggered difficulty curve where you'd occasionally get the intensely satisfying feeling of *really* going up in power when you found a new unique, or put some additional skillpoints in your core skills. In Diablo 3, I'm feeling none of that. It lasted for a short while during the first 20-30 levels as you unlocked runes, but after that? The skill- and difficulty curve, with the exception of cheap monster combinations, has been more or less completely flat all the way to inferno, with the occasional +15 <primary stat> here, and +10 there, which only serves to even things out while you grind your way to 60.

I'm currently bored to tears with D3. I hope a future expansion or mega-patch fixes it. The current state of D3 really isn't that different from Diablo 2 Classic. Before the expansion, there were no exceptional quality uniques, no rune-words, no sockets etc.. All you could do was hunt rares and hope for lucky combinations, so I never played MP much until the expansion came out and transformed the whole game for the better. Maybe we'll get lucky and Blizzard finds the secret sauce again in two years' time ... Of course, after the hours I've put into the predecessor, I shouldn't completely rule out genre fatigue either, but I definitely feel as if the magic is gone for now.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2012, 12:20.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo