Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Catalyst Beta - Monthly Driver Releases Ending

AMD announces the release of an AMD Catalyst 12.6 Beta Driver with an advance look at the next reference drivers for ATI/AMD graphics cards. If you are wondering what happened to May's version 12.5 drivers, AMD announces they are moving away from their monthly schedule: "With the release of the Catalyst 12.6 Beta driver, AMD would also like to announce that we are moving away from our Monthly Catalyst release plan. Our goal is to ensure that every Catalyst release delivers a substantial benefit to our end users; as we have today with the release of the Catalyst 12.6a Beta. We will still continue with the Catalyst naming convention; Catalyst: Year.Month., You just won’t see a new driver every single month. We are confident that this will only benefit the end user; you’ll only need to upgrade to a new Catalyst driver, when it makes sense."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Beta - Monthly Driver Releases Ending Jun 1, 2012, 08:30 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on May 31, 2012, 22:29:
I see that happen quite often for ATI, I rarely see a new game come out that doesn't already have nvidia driver support.
It still happens with nVidia. DiRT Showdown had broken SLI out-of-the-box because nVidia specified the wrong .exe file; not only that but the profile they selected had major performance issues with water detail and snow levels. It was a user that ended up posting a performance fix on the forum.

AMD certainly has had the most high profile driver issues though and I experienced numerous issues with their drivers last year, including RAGE and Skyrim. Both games took a very long time to correct.

If AMD is doing this to improve driver quality then that's great. However, this comes after AMD has made some major cuts to staff levels and it's hard to believe this is being done for the right reasons. Just look at their support for Windows 8 - they've already announced they won't be supporting relatively recent cards (the HD4xxx series), whereas nVidia fully supports much older cards.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo