Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

38 Studios Closed?

38 Studios laid off its entire workforce according to an unconfirmed report on WPRI.com where they have an email purportedly sent to the company's staff, which they say consisted of 379 employees a of March 15. The Verge adds they've been informed by "a source familiar with the company" that 38 Studios also closed both its Rhode Island headquarters and its subsidiary studio Big Huge Games (thanks nin). They also note there is a semi-confirmation of this in a tweet from Colin Campbell, lead world designer at Big Huge Games: "Big Huge Games was home for my wife and me for our adult lives so far. I'll miss it terribly, but so proud. Good night and good luck." The Verge also quotes Governor of Rhode Island Lincoln Chafee attributing the closure to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, saying the RPG "failed." They note that the game sold approximately 1.2 million copies in 90 days and Chafee says experts told him it needed to sell three million copies to break even. In 2010 Rhode Island loaned 38 Studios $75 million.

Financial troubles at the developer founded by former major league baseball pitcher Curt Schilling surfaced less than two weeks ago, but after some drama involving a bounced loan payment check and allegations of a missed payroll, things seemed to be on the rise, with word that the loan payment cleared and that the company's MMORPG codenamed Project Copernicus was expected in a year. In an interesting side note, Rock, Paper, Shotgun points out the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation has posted 38 Studios Public Documents with all the details on its financial dealing with the company.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

83. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 25, 2012, 10:47 GayBlade

RollinThundr wrote on May 25, 2012, 10:24:
That none of you left leaning folks care at all about how much money is being spent is flat out troubling. Someone has to eventually pay for it.

Dear Mr. Thundr,

My final contribution to this "conversation" is to quote Foster's Law: The only people who find what they are looking for in life are the fault finders.

Rather than sit and spew numbers and find fault with everything, I suggest you sit back and enjoy life a little. You might start by visiting a gaming news sight, read about and then perhaps discuss games.

If you cannot enjoy the gaming sight, perhaps you could take all the faults you find in society and get off your butt and do something about it. Action > words.

Wishing you a happy, fun-filled day,

GayBlade

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo