Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well I'm here alone in the BlueTower, as MrsBlue wings her way to the west coast to see what it may possibly hold for our future. We'll be separated for four days, which is pretty much the longest we've been apart in pushing 18 years of living together. Weird to say the least.

R.I.P.: Bee Gees star Robin Gibb dies aged 62. Thanks Cutter.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Achromatized.
Jelly Escape.
Stories: Four climbers die on Everest.
Media: Wild CREEPER appeared.
Conan O’Brien and David Letterman Discuss Jay Leno.
Best of just for laughs 2011.
Follow-up: Annular Solar Eclipse Time-Lapse Video.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 15:27 jimnms

Need some quick monitor advice. My 22" (1680x1050) monitor seems to be dying, and it may only last another day or two.

I started noticing about a week ago that I wasn't seeing the POST screen when I turned on my computer. It seemed to stay black longer before I saw the Windows startup logo. I usually punch the power button when I get up in the morning then go to the kitchen, but I can see the monitor out of the corner of my eye before I leave the room. The first few times I thought I was just missing it, so one day I shut the computer off and turned it back on and everything was normal.

To try and cut this short, after a few days of messing with it, it only does it after it stays off all night, so that only let me do one test per day on it. When it goes to standby for a few hours, it comes back on just fine. A few days ago it got to where the system was booting up to the Windows login screen and I still had to wait a few seconds before the monitor came on. The power indicator on the monitor turns from amber (standby) to blue (on) like normal as soon as I turn on the computer though. Once it comes on, it looks normal, it's not dim, it doesn't flicker and the colors look fine.

I checked the power cable and display cable, and even opened up the computer to make sure the video card was seated since I did move it around a month or so ago. Today when I turned the computer on, the power indicator turned blue and just flashed. I thought that was the end, but a few minutes later it finally came to life.

I did start to look at monitors over the weekend, but I really hate to make a rushed purchase. I was hoping I could hold off longer, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. This monitor and the ones before it, I took my time, researched and read reviews before picking the right one. I do like it, it's just the right size, the colors are great and it has a low input lag and response time which is good for gaming.

If I'm going to get have to get a new one I might as well upgrade, so I looked at monitors over the weekend. It seems like everything is going with 1080p resolution, but I kind of like the 16:10 aspect ratio. It looks like 1920x1200 monitors are getting hard to find.

I've found two that I like so far. One has a 16:10 ratio 1920x1200 that I like. It's Dell 24" with an eIPS panel instead of TN like my current one. I found a review that did some extensive tests and it has the same input lag as my current monitor even though it has an 8ms response time compared to my current monitor's 2ms. The same place (tftcentral.co.uk) reviewed my current monitor so it's easy to compare it side by side.

The second one is pretty much a 23" version of the one above except it's 1920x1080. The same review site tested it and it has a super low input lag of 0.6ms average (the one above and my current monitor both are 9ms).

I can't make up my mind, and I can't put this off. I really like the low input lag of the 23", but the 23" 16:9 is going to slightly shorter (but wider) than my current 22" 16:10. The dimensions on paper show I'll lose 1" of height and gain 1.5" of width. The only negative I see is cramming a higher res into the same size will make stuff smaller on screen. A 24" 16:9 monitor would be closer in size to a 22" 16:10, keeping about the same height and just being wider. However I haven't found a 24" 16:9 that I like so far.

The 24" Dell with the same aspect ratio and larger size should keep things on screen about the same scale as my current display, and it has an identical input lag as what I've been using. I'm worried that the larger size will be uncomfortable to sit in front of at my desk, and it will definitely take up more room.

I am slightly leaning toward the 24" Dell 16:10, but I'm open to suggestions.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo