Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles

Positech Games announce the release of Gratuitous Tank Battles, and the follow-up to Gratuitous Space Battles is available on its official website, GamersGate, GameStop PC Downloads, and Steam. Here's the game's launch trailer, and here's word:

GTB is the 'not-exactly-a-sequel' to indie hit 'Gratuitous Space Battles'. Unlike GSB, which featured hands-off battles, GTB borrows more from the tower defense genre. Unlike any other tower defense game, Gratuitous Tank Battles gives the player the choice of playing defender OR attacker on every single map. It also incorporates customised unit design and a built-in map editor and map-sharing online 'challenge' system which results in an near-limitless amount of gameplay.

In a further unique twist, Gratuitous Tank Battles even supports saving out a recording of your attack, and playing against your own decisions in the defense role. Every unit in the game is designed from base components, meaning you will never get entirely used to the units the enemy will throw at you. You have the option to play GTB as a normal tower defense game, with scripted attacking enemies, or you can even select 'adaptive' AI which places attacking (or defending) units in reaction to the players decisions. If you allow it, the AI can even re-use units that you designed to attack you with... This is like no other tower defense game you have played.

Gratuitous Tank Battles is an alternate-history game, set sometime between now and 2214, in a two-hundred year continuous world war one, Patriotic British and German troops continue to wage war across Europe, even though the technology has moved from bolt action rifles through modern day tanks and powerful laser weapons and shields. The armies still make use of guns and tanks, but they are fighting alongside newer, more deadly walking 'mechs'. For more background on the influences behind the game check out this video: http://youtu.be/O9_3krujYVc

A 2D top-down game, like many classic tower-defence titles, GTB aims to dispel the myth that 2D games can't get the most out of modern graphics cards. Lasers, explosions, searchlights and gunfire crackle across the screen in daytime, through the night, and even in a cool night-vision mode. All of the maps can be tweaked and edited, or even designed entirely from scratch, right within the game itself, with no special knowledge or tools needed to create a new battleground. Don't like the position of a certain trench on level 3? a few mouse clicks later it's changed, and you are playing the new custom map.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Gratuitous Tank Battles May 17, 2012, 21:49 Alamar

Gratzies... That's looking pretty cool : )

Though, I think it should have been called Gratuitous Land Battles, but I'm sure you had your reasons ; )

So the good is, you get a steam key from the official website... but it costs ~25% more (than on steam).

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo