Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Games On Net -- How Cloud Gaming Turned Piracy Into Espionage.
But cloud games aren’t fully held by you, the gamer. The gamer only gets enough code to display the game on their computer. Critical data is stored on the server and streamed during play.

This is more than DRM because the gamer gets substantial benefits from the online connection. Two of the biggest are easy access to multiplayer games and increased protection from hacks. Neither could be provided without the online requirement—online-only means a large multiplayer population, and protecting the server code makes it difficult to hack.

Converting a cloud game to a single player game through reverse engineering is taking what the publisher hasn’t given you, and changing it to something else—with completely different benefits. It’s not fighting DRM. It’s taking what’s not yours.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

22. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 17:38 jdreyer

I am quite disappointed that D3 is online only. Am I going to pirate it? No, but I'm not going to buy it either. TL 2 will get my money.

The op/ed is pretty weak sauce. The guy's got to be a paid shill with such lame one-sided reasoning like that. Blizzard is doing it this way for one reason: control. Control how you play, control what you play, control when you play, etc. Honestly, I could care less about either multiplayer or achievements. So a cloud game has no purpose for me.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo