Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grim Dawn Funded

The Kickstarter Page for Grim Dawn has word that Crate Entertainment's fundraising campaign for their upcoming action/RPG has succeeded, as the game has passed its $280,000 goal with 10 days to go. The info on the page includes an outline of how any additional funds they collect will be spent: "If we exceed our goal, all of the extra money will be used to bring more full-time people onto Grim Dawn and expand our art outsourcing. That means more content, more quickly. The ultimate goal would be for us to bring all of our part-time people on full-time and hopefully even hire a few more people. Then we would be totally rocking and well on our way to making Grim Dawn all that it can be!"

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: Grim Dawn Funded May 9, 2012, 00:44 Creston

Slashman wrote on May 9, 2012, 00:37:
When did you last play the game? Because no one I know who has played TQ recently has complained about that. I even installed the community patch and went to the website for the guys who made it and never heard about anything that severe.

Hmmm... two or three years ago, maybe? I was hoping my savegame folder would show the datestamp, but it's just showing when I copied all my savegame data over to this rig which I built last November. It was probably somewhere around there. I'd just built a new machine and tried it on that, and had the same issue. Probably a little less noticeable, but it was still irritating enough to make the game virtually unplayable. (At least on higher diff levels, as the multiple second jump in, for example, that tiger village meant you were dead by the time it had 'caught up.')

After Immortal Throne came out (which was the thing that introduced the rubber banding bug, and then happily ALSO put it into the original game, shitty engine optimizations FTW!) it was a pretty heavily discussed topic on titanquest.net. And the devs came on to say "Hey, send us as much details as you can, send us dxdiags etc etc, and we'll investigate and we'll fix this. We promise!"

And then... they closed shop and nobody ever heard from them again until just now. So yeah. And before some dev-hero like some toadstools around here comes bleating that the publisher refused to pay for a patch and thus they couldn't do anything, again, you as a developer should also stand by your product, and if something this bad happens, you should just FIX it.

The guy who's working on Grim Dawn apparently had plenty of money to work on a game with a few buddies for several years, but they didn't have money to fix the last game they broke with their (otherwise fantastic) expansion? Fuck that noise.

I doubt a community patch fixed what was a serious engine issue, but it's possible it made it much less. Even so, that's a community patch so I fail to see why the devs should get a free pass because of that.

Hey, if people want to support these guys, go right ahead. It's your money. Just don't be surprised if they release a horribly broken turd and refuse to fix it afterwards.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo