Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete

The Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Page shows that this fundraising campaign is complete, and that over 36,000 backers have committed over USD $1.8 million to Harebrained Schemes' continuation of the cyberpunk RPG series. The game's kick start in place, they point the way to the Shadowrun Universe Website, where they have opened new forums dedicated to the project.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 17:18 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:07:
WarpCrow wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 15:06:
In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore, a deep, fleshed out Matrix and Astral Plane...
I think that's what we're actually going to get with the KS titles..?

I really cannot wait for the old school top down perspectives these KS titles will offer without the 3D resource heavy "open world" FPS titles dressed up as RPGs.

Really, what I like about all of these Kickstarter projects, at a variety of different approaches, is that we're seeing some fundamental re-thinking of what a development studio and a development process is. For too long, it's been a binary choice - do you want a small, simple game with little production value, or do you want a large, highly-produced title that likely skimps on content as a sacrifice to the realities of the market your publisher is having to play to? Over the last couple of years, we've seen people try to chip away at that boundary, but Kickstarter is allowing people to accelerate this process by getting word out there of what they want to do and how they plan on getting there.

Have we figured it out yet? Of course not - that's sheer hubris. However, once this first wave of titles reaches fruition, we'll see what works, what doesn't, why they did what they did, and the process will iterate.

That's why Kickstarter is interesting to me - not only is it a disruptive technology, it's allowing for all kinds of grand experiments.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo