Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

HotHardware - If You Resell Your Used Games, The Terrorists Win. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.
Both Browne and Braben conflate hating GameStop (a thoroughly reasonable life choice) with the supposed evils of the used games market. Braben goes so far as to claim that used games are actually responsible for high game prices and that "prices would have come down long ago if the industry was getting a share of the resells." Amazingly, no game publishers have stepped forward to publicly pledge themselves to lower game prices in exchange for a cut of used game sales.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2012, 00:47 Jerykk

How many copies need to be sold for a game to be pirated an infinite number of times?

One, usually. Same with used games. You buy a new game, then sell it, someone else buys it, then sells it, rinse and repeat forever. Pretty much the same as buying a game, then copying it and releasing it on the net.

Hell, you don't even have to buy a new copy. If you stole a copy of MW3 from Target and then tried to pawn it off at GameStop, they would gladly accept it. They'd be even happier to accept it if it was still sealed and had the price sticker on it.

Yes, but your position ignores the reality that that never actually happens. Theoretically, sure, but practically, large numbers of new games are sold - Gamestop sells more new games than used by their own sales numbers.

I never said that people don't buy new games. I just said that people who sell used games are more likely to buy used games instead of new ones. However, the majority of consumers still buy new stuff. This applies to any medium, whether it be books, movies, music or games. And as NKD mentioned, GameStop sees significantly higher profit margins from used games because those transactions give nothing to publishers or developers. All that money goes into GameStop's pockets.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 00:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo