Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions

The Guild Wars Facebook Page has more on the microtransaction system in Guild Wars 2, following up on the recent update on the ArenaNet Blog on the business model for the upcoming MMORPG sequel. Here's word:

Here are a few important clarifications about our microtransaction system. First, that gold is coming from other players. So somebody must have an abundance of gold if he trades it to a player. The system is not adding new gold from the outside.

Second, take into account the gem/gold trading system. Everything that is in the store will basically be available for gold with this system - so it doesn't really matter what is in the store, as it is also available for players who play and don't want to spend additional money. Hope that helps! ~RB2

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

28. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 22:15 Endo

Krovven wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 21:35:
eunichron wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:32:
wusel wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:12:
Judge yourself: leaked item shop screenshots

In my opinion, some of these items aren't vanity and should be in the game itself. I hope they'll add an ignore option for those megaphone broadcasts.

None of those items, to me, look like they would give the player any performance advantage over anyone else. Most of them are just convenience, or quality of life items, not necessary or advantageous at all for gameplay (the Perfect Salvage Kit might be debatable, but still not necessary).

Experience, Karma, Magic Find & Crafting boosts...those are all Pay 2 Win. At least they are only 1hr duration, but some wealthy folks I'm sure will buy as many as they need to get from 1 to 80. There are several other items on those screenshots that are borderline depending on their use. Are Mystic Keys available elsewhere in the game, or can I only loot chests in-game if I pay money to do so? What kind of items do the Loot Bags give? I'd assume this is just a sampling of what they will be selling.

Trading of Gold and Gems, making those items available to everyone (provided the Gem to Gold value isnt ridiculous) is tolerable. But they are walking a very fine line here. I wasnt a big fan of the first game, but I was going to buy this to play with friends. Now, I'm going to wait to see how much more information comes out.

Now, where are those that were saying GW2 wasn't Pay 2 Win?
No, these aren't items that are generally considered "Pay 2 Win". The items referred to as P2W are items you MUST have to be able to compete with other players, whether it be in PvP or for PvE slots in a good group. Typically these will be in the form of certain items you must have to upgrade your gear to the best possible stats (Runes of Magic is a good example here) or just gear itself, or long-term buffs. Technically the controversial items offered in GW2 are, as Mike O'Brien stated, simply "time-saving convenience items". You can get get all the same results without the boosts, it just takes longer. You can do what you need to with less bag space, it just takes more time because you have to run around a lot more and micromanage your inventory a lot more. However, these items are also the kind of items you'd generally not expect to have to buy with cash shop currency... unless the game is going the F2P route.

People are calling Diablo 3 Pay 2 Win because they're assuming there's going to be uber gear available on the AH that most players won't really be able to get any other way. Whether that will be the case remains to be seen, but it's probably a fair guess.

But getting back to GW2, the problem is people feel like the $60 they're paying for the game disqualifies it as F2P. But it doesn't. Look at the cheapest subscriptions for MMOs out there. You'll be hard pressed to find one at less than $10/month, and those aren't doing so well. So going by that, your $60 is at best enough for 6 months. LotRO offered a one-time payment lifetime subscription to beta testers, but it was $200. That's a heck of a lot more than $60, and it was ONLY available to beta testers. In reality all of that is moot because the $60 here should be enough to cover the cost of development and that's about it. If this were a single-player game, that'd be great. It's not. It's also not an instanced game that can get by with a lot less server hardware and bandwidth like GW1 or Diablo or any number of other similar co-op RPGs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo