Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart

A new Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstarter Page looks to generate funding for a hardcore, close quarters battle first-person shooter for Windows PCs from Serellan LLC. This is the brainchild of Christian Allen, who has been a design lead on Ghost Recon and Halo titles before going indie. There's an interview on Ghostrecon.net talking with Christian about the project, and here's a bit on his approach:

For years, fans of tactical shooters have been crying out for someone to make a quality, hardcore, tactical shooter. But in contrast to these requests, game publishers eschew realism and tactics in exchange for ease of use and “cinematic” flavor. This campaign aims to see if my theory that real tactical shooters aren’t dead, and that enough people want one to justify the cost of development.

I’ve been in the video game industry working on best in class shooters for ten years now – designing and leading teams creating Tom Clancy games and Halo Reach. Now I’ve struck out and formed a new company for indie game development, Serellan LLC.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

31. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 4, 2012, 19:49 Jerykk

You don't really need experience working on tactical shooters to make a tactical shooter. It's not like there are technological challenges that are unique to that genre. If he's played tactical shooters, knows what makes a game a tactical shooter, and is aiming to make such a game, that will be sufficient.

It's not quite that simple. There's a big difference between playing a game and making a game. When you make a game, you have to make decisions about things that you never really think about while playing games. When you make a game, you lose perspective on the decisions you've made and how they affect the game as a whole. Ideas that sound great in theory may end up being not so great in practice, but if you're heavily invested in those ideas, you won't realize that there's a problem until someone tells you.

Think of it like this: if being a fan of a particular genre was enough to become a great designer within that genre, then wouldn't Derek Smart be one of the best space sim designers ever?

Schafer get's a boatload of cash because the games he makes have very broad appeal.

That's not really accurate. Shooters are far more popular than adventure games and Schafer's last high-profile games (Brutal Legend and Psychonauts) sold poorly. The reason why his Kickstarter was a success was because of his reputation. He's been involved with many cult classics; Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts. These games all had small but devout fanbases and their faith in Schafer is what made his Kickstarter successful. The same can't be said for the guy who made this tactical shooter Kickstarter. What reputation does he have? He worked on the console version of an expansion pack for one tactical shooter. That's it. Just because he's a fan of the genre doesn't mean he can make a good game in that genre. I have no reason whatsoever to have any faith in his ability until he actually proves it and his credentials certainly don't prove it.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2012, 20:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo