Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter Campaign is underway for FTL: Faster Than Light, a space combat game being developed in Shanghai, China. They have already surpassed their $10,000 goal by more than 50%, so it seems this is well on its way. If you are interested in more details on this game, there's a trailer on FTL Website and a preview on PC Gamer.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:56 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:50:
EA and Activision and their ilk can't go the way of the fucking dodo fast enough to suit me.

Same here. I suspect the industry would be in disarray if every project was community-sourced, but at the very least I'd like to see the soulless, mega publishers completely and utterly devoid of any vision beyond dollar signs gone forever.

As far as this project goes, $10,000 may not sound like much, but I can't imagine that "Space Pirates and Zombies", a space combat game itself, had a development budget of much higher than that, and it was ridiculously addicting and fun. At least to me it was, anyway.

I enjoyed SPAZ, or at least the first half (or so)... need to go back to it : )

But let's throw around some numbers...

A lot of hobby projects (that go somewhere), start with two people, and they take half a year to make (not unreasonable). Two half years makes one full 'man year'. Given that arbitrary example, I would have to argue that 10k is not nearly enough : )

Even given a 3 month cycle, that's half a 'man year', and 10k isn't enough... I'm assuming 'no other significant sources of income', and lots of noodles, and rent/heat/elec/food/etc still costs more than that (unless they live together : ).

I make a lot of assumptions, as your post seems to, but in the end... Hobbyists will get shit done for cheap, but a 'reasonable' cost of living is far different : )

Mmmmm... Noodles...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo