Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Cliffski's Blog - The kickstarter reality.
But this is not *the* new publishing model, far from it. RPS noted that the developers ‘don’t have a publisher breathing down their necks’. Really? Maybe they have 10,000 publishers now, impatient, possibly wanting contradictory stuff (almost definitely…in fact), and not restrained by the politeness of scheduled milestone meetings behind closed doors. I hope it goes well, but it could get messy.

Plus the developer is boxed into a corner, they know exactly what they have to do with that money. This is not always a good thing. I ship maybe half the games I start. Gratuitous Tank Battles was not the game I intended to make. I intended to make a life-sim game, then abandoned it to make an RTS, then it morphed into GTB.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

71. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2012, 08:27 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 00:31:
Beamer, you're forgetting that these Kickstarter projects aren't meant to appeal to millions of people. They're specifically targeted towards a niche audience, where tastes tend to be pretty similar. I'm pretty sure all old-school CRPG fans agree that PST was awesome and that a spiritual successor would be equally awesome. Therefore, if Obsidian made a spiritual successor to PST, these consumers would be happy. Would Mass Effect or Skyrim fans be happy? Probably not, but they likely wouldn't even care about the Kickstarter in the first place so their opinions would be irrelevant.

I agree 100%, but you won't get the kind of returns on those projects.

My point is not that there won't be successful kickstarter projects, just that kickstarter isn't the next new funding virtuoso. The whole point of it is, as the name implies, to "kick start." You won't see games getting a million dollars every month. Obsidion would probably get $200k. Maybe $500k. They're not getting a million. Everyone else is limited to $60k, and most people will be lucky to even get to 5 digits.

This is all I'm saying. I don't get why this is so controversial.

And I'm saying that consumers as a whole tend to be idiots. I'm also surprised this is controversial. Can anyone here tell me that they don't think humanity, as a whole, is stupid? Put people in large groups and they do dumb things. Even on an individual level, people tend to want dumb things. Ever sit in on a consumer research panel? "I kind of like this toothpaste, but it would be better if it was more purple and sparkly. I like purple, it's my favorite color!" Or have you ever read a message board for any multiplayer game? "The shotgun only kills people with one shot from 10 meters or less. It really needs to be three times that. Why is that guy with a rifle killing me from 30 yards out if I've got a shotgun? Nerf the rifle, increase the shotgun!" "No, shotguns are too powerful, nerf them. They should never one hit kill!"

Ultimately the developer needs to have balls and vision. What idiots like Prez don't understand is that the publisher is there telling developers to listen to consumers. A good developer will say "no, this is my vision. I've balanced it. One change will ruin that balance. Taking out a feature, or making a weapon more balanced, won't improve the game." For god'ssake, aren't many of you in IT? When you work in IT your consumer is the user. How many of you ever listen to your user in IT?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo