Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips

Activision's financial reporting shows lower than expected sales, though profits beat estimates. Here's the money mumbo-jumbo: "Activision's fourth-quarter sales for the three months ended December 30 fell 6 percent to $2.4 billion. Analysts were expecting sales of $2.2 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. Adjusted for the deferral of revenue from digital content, Activision posted a profit of $725 million, or 62 cents per share, up from $655 million or 53 cents a year ago. This beat Wall Street estimates of 56 cents a share, according to Thomson-Reuters I/B/E/S." This notes that the company "only" lost about 100,000 World of Warcraft subscribers for the quarter, a considerable improvement over the previous reporting period when they lost closer to 800k subscribers from the MMORPG. There's also a note on IncGamers from the company's post-earnings conference call, where Mike Morhaime announced Diablo III is now due in Q2 of this year, saying: "We have implemented changes which will greatly improve the game experience and final release will live up to the highest expectations. We expect launch to be a big opportunity for Blizzard. More details will be announced in the coming weeks."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips Feb 10, 2012, 12:44 Dev

Yakubs wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 09:11:
Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:26:
I still, after all this time, can't believe Blizzard ever allowed themselves to become tangled up with dreadful Activision.

They aren't tangled up with Activision, really. Activision and Blizzard are "sister" companies with the same parent. It's not like Activision exerts control over Blizzard. They just share time at the conference call, basically.

Yeah... its a complete coincidence that they started to become more focused on money than customers at that time. That they started doing things like removing LAN play from starcraft 2. Making diablo 3 online only. Putting in real money auction house in D3. I'm not even touching on all the things they did in WoW to get more money.

Remember, this is the company that used to sell warcraft and starcraft that let you play multiple players on a lan with just 1 cd. They WANTED people to share the game with others back then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo