Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 7, 2012, 06:25 Mordhaus

The Autodesk decision was applied to a PC software that specifically stated that you could not sell it. It has never been applied to a console game and console games have always been treated like other physical media like dvd's and cd's.

Now, with wording changes in the EULA of console games, it could be conceived to be possible to make re-sell or gifting of console games illegal. However, this treatment and the more open nature of console media, is a large percent of why PC gaming took a nose dive until recently.

A large part of the resurgence of the PC market was due to the popularity of WoW and, more so, Steam. Steam has championed indie games which are far cheaper, but the secret is that they continually offer extremely good sale prices on games. In many cases, had they not offered that discount, the game would have lost a lot of sales. For example, I wanted Skyrim the moment it came out, but I refuse to pay full price for a game. When it was on sale for the holidays, I picked it up for 33% off. I had to wait, but it was worth it, especially considering the fact that it was loaded with bugs at release.

Once you tackle the fact that most likely the next gen games will be even more expensive, I am thinking at least a ten dollar price boost to 69.00, then you will quickly see a lot of buyers holding off for either some sort of sale or a best selling edition.

To end this, while I love Volition's games, after the founder of the company left, it clearly impacted SR3. The plot of the story was so muddled by the end that you could almost see a sign saying "THQ's Danny Bilson was here telling people how he wanted the game made" and it was also clear that a lot of content was magically turned into DLC instead of shipping with the game. THQ is a rapidly sinking ship due to these actions and others.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo