Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day! Let's get right to our rodent weather correspondent, as apparently Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, which is supposed to portend another six weeks of winter (or at least winter weather, the calendar remains static). This is in contrast to how mild the winter has been so far, but how could something as scientific as shadow spotting be wrong? Well, actually, according to that article, this is open to debate, as they note that while the official website of Punxsutawney Phil claims the forecaster is 100% accurate, AccuWeather says he is right about 80% of the time, while StormFax.com places his accuracy at 39%.

R.I.P.: Famed boxing trainer Angelo Dundee dies. Thanks brother19.

Shadowy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Kung Fu Grandpa.
The Fishermans Wrath.
Links: Groundhog Day 2012: 10 Facts About The Day, The Animal And Punxsutawney Phil.
Why Did Bill Murray Keep Going Back in Groundhog Day?
TV pilots mega list 2012.
Stories: FBI cuts down Mass. mom's door in wrong-home raid.
As James Bond turns 50 this year, the spy still can hit his target. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: "Alien" Particles Found Invading Our Solar System—A First. Thanks j.c.f.
Science decodes 'internal voices'. Thanks brother19.
Researchers develop a frequency comb that can untangle the extreme ultraviolet spectrum.
The Best Gallery of Soul Calibur Cosplay in Existence.
Media: The Flash Drive.
Eggy - Bouncy Feeling (Munamies - Pomppufiilis). Thanks Morris.
Pinball wizard Tim Arnold shows off his Las Vegas museum. Thanks A51Abductee.
You Only Had One Job To Do, Goalie! One Job!
The Funnies: The Groundhog Cartoon - Savage Chickens.
Follow-up: After nuclear disaster, a harsh winter for Fukushima's abandoned pets.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2012, 11:29 Overon

Sad thing is that there are people actually believe groundhog nonsense. What's the justification for the ground hog seeing his shadow meaning anything? What's the justification for the groundhog seeing his shadow at all? How do we know he saw his shadow? Does he know what a shadow is? Does he know it's his shadow? Why would we believe that the groundhog knows anything about weather forecasting?

I sincecrely hope most people do this for fun and I cringe at people who think that the groundhog has any forecasting ability at all. I do think those groundhogs look adorable though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo