Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rovio Positive About Piracy

An interview on guardian.co.uk talks with Rovio's Mikael Hed about the flyaway success of Angry Birds (thanks Ant via Neatorama). This includes the company's take on how piracy may help them:

"We could learn a lot from the music industry, and the rather terrible ways the music industry has tried to combat piracy."

Hed explained that Rovio sees it as "futile" to pursue pirates through the courts, except in cases where it feels the products they are selling are harmful to the Angry Birds brand, or ripping off its fans.

When that's not the case, Rovio sees it as a way to attract more fans, even if it is not making money from the products. "Piracy may not be a bad thing: it can get us more business at the end of the day."

According to Hed, Rovio has taken some more positive lessons from the music industry, including how it sees its customers.

"We took something from the music industry, which was to stop treating the customers as users, and start treating them as fans. We do that today: we talk about how many fans we have," he said.

"If we lose that fanbase, our business is done, but if we can grow that fanbase, our business will grow."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 21:09 Tumbler

Hey, real quick, what other industries let us try something at no risk, particularly when they actually bear an enormous amount of risk?

Movies? No.
Books? Well, Kindle does this, but Amazon has no risk.
Cars? Nope, you can test drive, and in some cases even take home for a night, but you also have to put up collateral.
Music? I suppose Spotify lets me listen to entire albums, but it's essentially what I advocated in Gaiku, no?
Restaurants? Hardly.

Um...well this industry for starters. PC software outside of games often has free trials you can download and try almost instantly. I downloaded Illustrator CS5 a few nights ago to use for a small project. Took me an hour, I only needed to provide an email. I was able to create content and save files and now I have what I needed and paid zero. (and they will likely get a sale from me later)

MS does this with MS Office. You can download all parts of that program. I can't remember the last time pc software didn't have a free trial unless it was a game.

Movie theaters will give you your money back if you walk out on a movie...

Books can be read at book stores...

Cars can be test driven for free and taken home (as you said) which is a great comparison to paying in full for a game and trying it for a few hours.

Music...last time I was in a book store they had a whole section setup to listen to music, entire albums...and on youtube you can listen to EVERYTHING.

And Restaurants? You're fucking with me right now right? Yeah, you've got to be. I mean if someone is served food they don't like, like there is a hair in it, everyone knows enough to complain right?

I mean you don't live under a rock...right?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo