Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I normally hate the two week gap between the end of the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl, but it's that much worse when I have a rooting interest. I may need to investigate hibernation between now and then.

Hibernating Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: This is the Only Level 3.
Aliens Defense.
Stories: Pat Sajak Admits to Hosting Wheel of Fortune Drunk.
Wounded soldier reunites with his war puppy, Smoke. Thanks brother19.
Science: Researchers suggest a proximate cause of cancer.
Scientists reveal how females store sperm for decades. Monica?
Pairing masks and hand washing could drastically slow spread of pandemic flu.
Media: Frog catches ants on iPhone. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Timmy O'Riley by L. Hadron and the Colliders.
A teens introduction to an LP record.
The Funnies: The Simpsons Meets Skyrim.
Follow-up: Novel material takes 3D ‘invisibility cloak’ a step closer.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 20:53 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:38:
Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:54:
Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked

Yet another study that confirms what we've known all along.
Saw that on Live Science, but didn't send to Blue, since it might be too polarizing. It goes a long way to explaining why you can never have a factual discussion, with these folks.

Heh. Well, I think this is just explaining one possible reason why lower IQ people might be racist. Racism aside, I think that conservative dogma, with its simpler, less changing message is perhaps more appealing to folks seeking a simple message to explain the world.

As for having a factual argument, it doesn't matter if someone is intelligent or not. I think what you're experiencing there is cognitive dissonance. When the science doesn't fit the belief system (i.e. evolution or climate change) the person faced with the dilemma can either modify the belief system to fit the science or vice versa. Often, the science gets rejected, regardless of the strength of the scientific argument being presented. Although I used conservative examples here, this kind of thing can happen to any belief system. An example on the liberal side is the belief that vaccines cause autism, which is still widely held, despite not only being widely disproven in study after study, but the original study which claimed it was shown to have falsified data.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo