Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Bans?

A thread on reddit offers an email purportedly from BioWare support informing the recipient of unspecified sanctions in Star Wars: The Old Republic, saying this was for accessing areas and loot meant for higher level characters in the just-launched MMORPG. There's a follow-up post on The Old Republic forums pointing out some discrepancies like typos and other issues that suggest this is not a legitimate email. There's also a post on Rock, Paper, Shotgun suggesting this may be a legitimate ban, and the player who was banned omitted details about how this was more of an exploit than described. Thanks Joao.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

27. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 19:36 jacobvandy

Yeah, it pretty much sucks that Ilum PVP is nonexistent and all the level 50s (including myself) end up doing is waiting around for someone of the opposite faction to get there and complete their daily quest of "helping the war effort" so that they can get it done, too. It's such a pain in the ass because there are usually no more than a dozen people from each faction on the whole planet (which also has daily PVE in an area larger than the open PVP one), and it's so big that it takes several minutes to travel between the objectives with the fastest mount you can get. You usually won't even see anybody else, even if you know they're there capping points, too.

Still, while I have been guilty of ignoring combat with the enemy just to get it over with, I wouldn't expect to be shown leniency if I'm reported as wholly exploiting things by coordinating repeated objective trading with the enemy faction. I've heard plenty of people making alts on the opposite faction, leveling them up to 15 or so to get their ship, and then traveling to Ilum strictly to facilitate that (which really shouldn't be possible, I mean they limit access to other locations based on level or quest, so why not this?).

And that's what would have had to happen for this guy to get caught, if the story is even legit; this guy was [rightly] reported for inappropriate player behavior, exploiting game mechanics (broken as they may be). I'd be glad just to know they actually take action on that kind of stuff, as on my server there's this douchebag that AFKs through PVP instances to farm the rewards with no effort at all. Tons of people have reported him, I've gotten no response in days, even after updating the ticket whenever I see him doing it, but yet he's still around...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo