Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Introduces BattleTags

Battle.net outlines a new BattleTags system they are implementing, offering a new way for players to identify themselves and communicate on Battle.net. They say this is "similar to the Real ID system," though they also note that they are not unique, so multiple players can all use the same BattleTag. They offer the ability to create a tag right now, a FAQ on how this all works, and this overview:

A BattleTag is a unified, player-chosen nickname that will identify you across all of Battle.net -- in Blizzard Entertainment games, on our official websites, and in our community forums. Similar to the Real ID system, BattleTags will ultimately give players on Battle.net a new way to manage public profiles, find and chat with friends they've met while playing, form groups, and stay connected across multiple Blizzard games.

While most of these features are coming soon, players who wish to pick a BattleTag now can do so via Battle.net Account Management. Note that BattleTags are not unique, meaning multiple players can choose the same BattleTag. For now, we’ll be testing some basic in-game functionality (including in-game chat and friends list support) in the next patch for the Diablo III beta test. Players are also now able to use a BattleTag when posting on the Diablo III community websites.

In the future, BattleTags will be integrated into other Blizzard games and services such as World of Warcraft® and StarCraft® II (and their related forums and websites), and we look forward to sharing more about all of the ways they’ll help you connect and play in the months ahead. Stay tuned to Blizzard's official community sites for further details.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 14:41 Keilun

Verno wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 12:04:
Ok I just played with it and it generates a 4 digit code to differentiate you from other players. Just what the doctor ordered, another dumb PIN number to remember. This is the company that does usability so well?

"This seems really stupid" posted Verno #9917

I think the idea is that in game the 4-digit pin would be masked. You would just right click on the name in chat and it would already have all the info. So not completely unusable in game, but outside of the game, definitely a pain.

Still, it's a really weird way of going about things... and feels like a rather pointless feature.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo