Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X3: Albion Prelude Announced

X-Universe News - Edition 46 announces X3: Albion Prelude, a new game in EGOSOFT's X series of space combat game to be released on December 15. The new game is to bridge the gap between X3: Terran Conflict and the upcoming X Rebirth, which was announced as coming this year, but seems pretty obviously delayed based on this news. They offer some screenshots and this teaser trailer, and here is a bit on the game:

X3: Albion Prelude provides a welcome bridge from the X Universe we know and love to the X Universe that will be experienced in X Rebirth. This new adventure will also feature more than 30 new ships and stations. A new Stock Exchange feature will enable players to speculate in local markets in a bid to increase their wealth. With this will also come tools to monitor and analyse economic developments and progress. Users with high-end machines will also benefit from some improved graphical quality settings. It is important to note that X3: Albion Prelude will NOT feature savegame compatibility with X3: Terran Conflict.

For owners of the X Superbox, X3: Albion Prelude will be available as a free download on Steam, while for owners of X3: Terran Conflict it will be available at the 'add-on' price of 9.99. For players new to the series, X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude will be available for purchase as a bundle. Time your purchase right and you could enjoy substantial discounts in the Steam holiday sale too!

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

31. Re: X3: Albion Prelude Announced Dec 9, 2011, 00:10 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 22:40:
Its like x doesn't even try to do atmosphere. Huge universe, nothing in it but deco. It does look pretty, but in the end its all shallow masquerade. Behind those station masks is nothing but emptiness. Quite literally.. ;p Ever since i realized that the player is literally the ONLY thing that acts in X i dropped this game. I am not expecting miracles.. just something more than the bare simulation

Not all of that is quite true. The AI does act...you just don't see it unless you're paying attention or take some effort to look for it.

Xenon and Kha'ak sweep through sectors, Paranid and Split forces will attack Argon and Boron sectors. Stations will send out traders to buy goods etc. Pirates will sometimes wipe a sector of stations.

I'm not arguing that the aliveness of the universe doesn't jump out at you, but X games seem to have always been more about building blocks for you to pursue whatever end you want rather than atmosphere.

And in all fairness...there are a huge number of mods out there that address most of the issues people bring up.

The games all have a steep learning curve and require a fair bit of patience to get things done. It's just the way they have always been. Terran Conflict does have some story missions that have you doing things like spying(planting trackers on enemy ships and stations) etc. but they don't form the heart of the game.

Rebirth seems set to address most of these issues though. I can't comment on in-system radio chatter...but they have redesigned the sectors and travel(it actually uses a highway system now).

Stations now all have visible production going on and much more activity. You also now have a crew on your ship and can hire/fire personnel to manage your assets etc.

It will be interesting to see how it all comes together...still a lot of unanswered questions about Rebirth. I hope they release new info soon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo