Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Sells 8M

Electronic Arts CFO Eric Brown announced Battlefield 3 has sold 8 million copies to date during today's Baird Technology Conference in San Francisco, reports GameInformer. They say he went on to tell the assembly that they have now shipped 12 million copies of the military shooter sequel, though per-platform breakdowns were not provided.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 08:34 LittleMe

venomhed wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 07:06:
"Here's what will likely happen... The PC online count will remain much more steady than the dwindling console numbers. All platforms will level off after several months, but PC will remain higher than both consoles combined, and then some."

Not sure if you are implying this is a good thing. The game companies want churn n' burn, because over the long haul the server maintenance and bandwidth eat into profits. If anything they want people to buy the game, play 3-6 months, shove out a DLC or two, play another 1-6 months then kill/destroy the game to make room for the next one (In this case Bad Company 3, BF4 etc).

I don't think it's so cut & dry as you put it. For example, a successful online game builds a reputation for the franchise and for subsequent sequels. Also, ongoing sales *do* make a difference. Okay, sure, some suits might be as narrow minded as you put it but I don't think that's often the case.

Wish I could say that game companies wanted and favored the PC because that pushes the industry while these 6 year old consoles keep holding out games back due to their legacy hardware. Sad times.

PC games are detaching from console games. Batman has DX11, BF3 has DX11, etc etc.. We will be getting higher production value games from multiplatform games. Not always, but as things move on and people buy PC games, we will be getting games that exploit new tech.

BF3 is a blast, even though there is zero ability for squad/team communication this severely hurting this games potential, whereas BF2 had this is spared (Waypoints, Commander etc).

Sigh....

Yeah the BF3 squad system is fail. BF2's was good/very good, especially in Project Reality where it was perfected.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo