Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Though plans for a PC edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was previously confirmed by Ubisoft, PC Gamer has word that the next installment in the Ghost Recon series is for consoles only, and that PC gamers will get Ghost Recon Online instead, which is apparently Ubisoft's new approach to PC piracy following their almost universally despised always-on DRM. Here's word from Ghost Recon Online producer Sébastien Arnoult:

We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’

We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind.

We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

112. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:48 ^Drag0n^

WarpCrow wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:24:
Keep rationalizing Stealing. I hope that works out for you. Even my 5 year old niece sees what is wrong with that logic.

Then back it up with your own logic. If piracy is theft, why is it not prosecuted as such under the law? What has the victim lost? I don't know about InBlack, but I've got a Steam account worth thousands to prove that I'm not rationalizing my own actions, and I don't buy exclusively through Steam.

Missing your point about Steam. I have the same thing. Bears no relevance on the piracy discussion.

That said:

I'm pretty sure if you "copy" documents from a CIA server, someone will be knocking on your door. If you "borrow" a car and return it, you're still going to jail. If you pirate a video game, movie, or music, yes, you are committing a felony.

Why is the argument ridiculous? Simple: you're not reimbursing the people that worked to give you entertainment for services rendered.

People that steal games then bitch about the state of the industry are like people that don't vote, but go all in on the Occupy Movement. Hypocrites. As anyone can tell you, if a studio doesn't generate titles that bring in sufficient revenue to stay around, they will die (See: Looking Glass). Super-easy relationship between the two.

Piracy is like sneaking into a movie theater, and rationalizing it by saying "well, they're playing the movie anyway..." And yes, you can take a trip in a black and white for that.

The Plaintiffs are suing not because the crime did not occur, but, rather, because anyone can bring a civil trial to court, and the burden of proof has a different litmus test. Make no mistake, violating DCMA/copyright/patents can result in criminal trial, they just seldom do.

And, lest you think otherwise, and here's that proof:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/05/guilty-verdict/

End of line.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo