Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Delayed

An update from Travis Baldree on the Torchlight II website informs us that Torchlight II is delayed (thanks Gamer's Hell via Joystiq). Runic Games' action/RPG sequel was announced for release in Spring 2011 before being pushed back to "sometime in 2011," so this indicates we should expect the game next year. While he doesn't specify exactly when, he does say: "The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small," but this probably makes them regret Max Schaefer's comment that Runic would probably release Torchlight 3 before Blizzard releases Diablo III. Here's the statement:

"So... where is Torchlight 2? Didn't you guys say that you were planning to try to release this year?"

Well, yeah. We did - and we made a good run at that. We've come to the realization, however, that getting a game of this scope up to the quality and polish level we want to achieve is going to take a little longer; especially since we want to run a small beta before release to ensure that our launch is smooth.

The first Torchlight was released in record time, but it had plenty of issues that a little more development could have resolved. We didn't have the resources at the time to give Torchlight that treatment. Right at this moment though, we do have those resources for the sequel, and we feel strongly that we should apply them to make this the best game we can make and hopefully one that you'll enjoy and continue to want to play in the future. We've probably had 18 months of full development time on it so far - not excessively long yet, as far as that goes. The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small.

We feel pretty safe in saying that if you enjoyed Torchlight at all, this sequel is superior in every respect. Right now our job is to ensure that the quality level is consistent all the way to the end.

Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed Revelations?

Those are awesome games. When Torchlight 2 goes live, we want it to be awesome too - all the way through.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: Torchlight II Delayed Nov 17, 2011, 15:56 killer_roach

Drezden wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 15:53:
I don't know why anyone is so concerned with Diablo 3 taking Torchlights sales. After all the crap that has come out on Diablo 3 I don't know a single person willing to buy it. They all want Torchlight instead.

Your circle of acquaintances is what I would like to call a "non-representative sample". I'd be shocked if Diablo 3 doesn't outsell Torchlight 2 by at least a 5:1 margin.

That being said, the fan base of Torchlight now exists on its own apart from the Diablo series... so long as they don't release TL2 right on top of D3, they'll do okay for themselves.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo