Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Versus ThreatFire

Long-time friend o' Blue's ^Drag0n^ sends along his discovery of a solution for a problem causing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to crash with a "Skyrim has stopped working" message. In his case he traced this back to the use of ThreatFire Antivirus. Here's word:

It looks like the PC version of Skyrim is not something that PCTools Threatfire likes. Threatfire causes the game to crash at the launcher when you hit "play" with no message, other than "Skyrim has stopped working."

How did I figure this out? I had a similar problem with CoD: World at War a while back which made me think Threatfire might be the issue.

The easiest way to fix the issue is to just uninstall Threatfire completely.

You can force-quit Threatfire from the process monitor, but you also have to force-quit ALL other ThreatFire/PC Tools modules to make that work (please note that you will have to reboot or open Threatfire from the Start menu to get it running again after doing this):

(1) CTRL + [RIGHT CLICK] Threatfire in the system tray, and select "exit."
(2) In an administrator-level command window, type "net stop threatfire" (without the quotes)

Note: "Suspending" ThreatFire alone from the systray will NOT fix the problem.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

28. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 23:54 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:09:
It's all about experiences, but I have more business customers having huge problems with this one. Many systems I touch, are dog slow, look at the process and this app is just eating the whole processor up. I talk the to the customers and it's always the same. Yeah that system runs like a turd. I talk with them I either make a change there or give them a heads up for their IT team. Good for you, but I've had really poor luck with this one.

Well that's interesting, because right now my processor is probably the oldest part of my machine and I'm always fighting for processor power in games. Maybe I will try to shut it off and see if it matters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo