Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Is WoW Jumping the Panda?

An interview on Wired.com is a conversation with World of Warcraft production director J. Allen Brack conducted during BlizzCon 2011. They discuss the new pets and the upcoming expansion to determine if the MMORPG has jumped the shark, or in this case, the panda. Here's his take on whether kung fu pandas are a shark-jumping moment:

We donít really worry about that because we really feel that our fans are going to be really excited about it. We have the community thatís really excited about what weíre doing.

The team is really excited about doing it. So thatís really whatís important. When it comes out, itís going to be great. I can understand the concept of ďWhy isnít there a big bad guy?Ē in this expansion? But how many times can we say, ďThis bad guy is going to destroy the world now and this time itís serious? No, this guy, heís really, really, really, really bad!Ē

So taking a break from that was very conscious and just having a very different tone. Instead of Horde and Alliance, we team up to defeat the big evil. Itís about the discovery of this new land and how the conflict of the Horde and Alliance influences that. With [the continent of] Outland [in the Burning Crusade expansion] and then with Northrend [Lich King] we had these self-contained areas where players came for an adventure in the higher level. That was really successful.

With Cataclysm, we didnít have that. It was very much focused on redoing the entire levels 1-60 experience. You didnít have, ďThis is the high level area.Ē So thatís something we actually want to get back to, that kind of experience and that kind of visual.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. Re: Is WoW Jumping the Panda? Nov 8, 2011, 15:25 Fati

I was at BlizzCon and saw it first hand. The lines to play Mists of Pandaria were embarrassingly short. You would have thought with the expansion supposedly being the "big" announcement this year, that lines would be hours-long. That wasn't even close to being the case.

And if Blizzard wasn't hemorrhaging subscriptions, why are they bribing WoW players with a free copy of Diablo 3 when they commit to a year of WoW?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo