Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sword of the Stars II Launch Issues

The Kerberos Productions website and Paradox Interactive Forums have posts about issues surrounding the recent launch of Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, the space-themed 4X strategy sequel (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun). There's a State of the Game post from Paradox Interactive CEO Fred Wester who talks of the game's issues on Steam, which helps explain a pair of patches over the weekend. There's also a post on the Kerberos Forums from Kerberos Productions CEO/Creative Director Martin Cirulis on what they plan to do about this going forward, starting off by saying: "Welcome to the perfect storm of cockup made up of 40% Murphy's Law, 30% Chaos, 20% Overambition and 10% wishful thinking. And you have our deepest regrets for what it is worth as none of this was part of the plan," and that: "This plan means that you folks can expect at least 2 or 3 updates a week over the next month or so that will gradually make this game into what it should have been when the switch was pulled on Friday." The post is quite lengthy, but comes with a convenient summary:

a) cockup
b) my fault
c) will be Completely fixed
d) fun stuff in many updates
e) Understanding of your position
f) Apology again and underserved request for faith and patience from people who don't know us.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Sword of the Stars II Launch Issues Oct 31, 2011, 20:05 Nate

Droniac wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 18:37:
They released a massive patch today that fixed the most critical issues. The game now starts properly in 64-bit Windows and the most common crashes have been eliminated. I just played 3 hours straight without a single crash.

They still NEED to fix the sluggish interface, the inaccessible options menu, the sound cutting out randomly, and the lack of tooltips (which has now been partially remedied) but otherwise it's playable and almost enjoyable. The sluggish interface makes things unbearably slow, but there seems to be a good game here.

I tried it for 4 hours. The strategic interface is awful. The combat controls were awful. Major things are not explained. Trading is missing apparently. The wait for AI vs AI battles to resolve is very irritating.

I speculate that the strategic AI is brain dead and possibly also the ship battle AI. Since these are some of the hardest things to code and often get left to the last minute.

Very much doubt the game will be fixed and made fun in a month. Looks like a 6 month job to me. I've asked for a refund. If there are no consequences for bad behavior, you'll just get more of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo