Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming

John Carmack tweets about plans for a new texture option in the upcoming patch for the Windows PC edition" of RAGE, id's new first person shooter: "We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage." A follow up tweet offers more on this: "@DesignerDon our first test of a higher res page file didn't help much, because most source textures didn't actually have any more detail."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

132. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 17, 2011, 01:03 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 00:51:
rather than the faux open-world that RAGE went for.

I knew Rage wouldn't be open world based off the previews, but I had no idea just how shockingly claustrophobic it really is. Even the "wasteland" is a few intersecting corridors. And then you STILL have to fucking load every settlement or area that you go into. Bethesda has people howling for their blood for having a world the size of Fallout 3 (or Oblivion) and needing to load every time you go into a town or house. Now Rage comes along and their "world" is like 1/10000th of the size of Bethesda's games.

Carmack could have easily made this game with the Doom 3 engine, and it probably would have looked better too...

Anyway, I finished it, the ending sucks, in fact the entire final few missions just suck. Capital Prime is just a base with endlessly repeating textures and hallways (Megatexture!) and hordes of boring, poor AI enemies, leading to a final battle that's probably the biggest letdown of an FPS final battle since... crap, I don't even know.

I liked the towns, I liked the atmosphere, I liked some of the mini games, I like the character given to the NPCs (though they needed more to say), and I really liked the driving.

I also thought that some of the maps, even including the fact that everything was claustrophobic as shit, were awesome. Dead City was fantastic, even if it looks nowhere NEAR what id kept lying it would look like, and the grand central station (blue line) map was awesome too.

Great variety of guns and ammo, with some really fun applications in them. However, in the end, you use it against 3 different types of enemies that

1) Run at you.
2) Sit behind cover and fire at you in the same three animations over and over and over and over again.
3) Switch cover randomly.
4) Flee.

And that's it. Repeat 20,000 times.

I advice everyone to play Rage on Easy mode. That way you don't have to sit there and take 20 potshots at a single bandit behind cover only to have to repeat it for his next 200 buddies. On Easy you can just run around, throwing wingsticks, unleashing spider bots, blasting buckshot, etc, and it makes it a lot more invigorating and fun.

But in the end, to me, Rage is a huge letdown, not least of all because all the promised and much-bandied graphics prowess just isn't there. Outside the game looks great. Inside, where 70% of the game takes place, it just looks like ass.

I vigorously hope that id tech 5 dies a quick death, much like id tech 4 did.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo