Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month

This trailer offers an audio interview with Hi-Rez Studios about Tribes Ascend, their upcoming continuation of the TRIBES series of multiplayer shooters (thanks Evan). This includes word on closed beta testing, as here is what Todd Harris has to say about their plans:

We have a date, you heard it here first. The team is working hard for closed beta to start on Friday, November 4th, so, a few weeks away. We plan on announcing that more broadly next week, and as you may have known if you've been following us, we wanted to start in September originally, that was kind of our original plan, but there were a few adjustments that we wanted to make before beta.

Specifically, some things we've been working on are character progression elements, those were things that weren't in alpha, but will be in beta, we'll maybe get into details on some of those later, and secondly, with the changes or improvements based on feedback from the alpha testing group...Disc jump strength was one, some challenge that people had in chasing down flag cappers which is a big part of the game, basically ability to quickly gain momentum from a standstill, and even overall speed of the game."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 18:01 Jerykk

slightly off-topic: One thing about Vengeance that I thought was a great addition was the grappling hook. It was a skill that could be developed to allow one to change direction quickly. It wasn't unbalanced and it seemed to fit well within Tribes-style gameplay. I'd love to see something similar included in Ascend

Wasn't unbalanced? Are you kidding? It was horribly unbalanced and totally screwed chasers. Tribes is all about momentum and the ability to predict your opponent's movements based on things like speed and trajectory. When your opponent can instantly and drastically change direction, that makes things exponentially more difficult for chasers. In fact, unless the chaser also carried the grappler, he was screwed because there was no way he could change direction as quickly as cappers. Then there was also the ability for cappers to grapple to something and then just fly circles around it forever, making it much harder to hit them and causing stalemates to drag on much longer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo