Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Interview

Ars Technica's RAGE review is online, giving id's just-released shooter a pretty good savaging. There's also an interview on Gamasutra on "The Creative Intent of Rage," discussing RAGE with id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and artist Andy Chang and asking some pointed if not hostile questions about it being similar visually to Borderlands and Fallout, the oddly artistic bandits, its linearity, the lack of meaningful choices, the main characters lack of dialog or context, and more. Thanks ^Drag0n^.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

63. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 11:55 ^Drag0n^

Y'know, I'm reminded of this game that was released that practically demanded a CPU upgrade, running like a dog at high resolutions, and it's networking code was total shit for the internet. Additionally, it had no matchmaking capability internally, requiring that you know what server you wanted to play on before the community came out and made external matchmaking programs.

On top of all that? It wasn't even windows native, and you had to run additional software to make IP traffic tunnel through winsock properly.

There was hellfire, brimstone, flaming, and much calling for heads.

God, how did that game EVER make it?

I am, of course, talking about Quake.

Most people seem to remember the Quakeworld experience, forgetting how different the initial release was, and how frustrating it was for some playing over dial-up, and those that had 486 chips.

And yet it's still the high-water mark of shooters.

And its also why I'm pretty sure that as the weeks develop, we will see better things emerge from this game.

Now, all that said, I still think that today's id is way different than the id of 1997; you don't hear about howling challenges of manhood between employees like there were when American and Romero were there. Maybe that's part of the reason we see less action than we did back in the day. They do appear to be making an effort to be more artistic, but seem to struggle with how that relates to their paternal relationship to the visceral Deathmatch FPS.

Others have caught up, and now they are in a position where they have to show that daddy still has game.

Personally, my only real complaints with the game at this point are the mouse acceleration (which, apparently, can be rectified by a console command), and the invisible walls (which I blame on Fallout allowing me to pretty much roam anywhere). I haven't gotten in to the vehicular combat yet, but, based on what I've heard form others playing it, it's pretty damn fun.

I know Carmack will make the engine work. He always has. As Blue, myself, and a few others lurking here can personally attest to, John put in more hours than you can imagine tuning Quake/Quakeworld to make sure that the code was uber-stable before passing it on to Zoid.

I expect no less from him with Rage.

This engine is a huge leap; unfortunately that part is getting lost in the traffic of initial release issues, and the me-too-isms that the press is throwing at the game. I hope it gets to show that off at some point here.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 12:07.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo