Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Lag-Free?

IncGamers has word from the early days of friends and family beta testing of Diablo III that players seem to be experiencing no latency at all while playing the game no matter their location, in spite of its client/server architecture. They have a couple of updates about this since first posting the story, the second of which says they feel they have: "100% confirmation that this is indeed correct! Latency no longer matters at all for combat." Here's word:

F&F sources have it that Blizzard are using a new method of client/server communication that provides a secure and tamper-proof method of using the local client to handle its own calculations, while sending the data to the server for verification. The Client doesnít require the server to respond, hence removing Latency from the equation. The exact technical information of how this works is unknown, particularly how it protects the game from tampering with the client, however it is believed that the server checks all the data that comes from the client, and if it detects tampering it disconnects the client. This eliminates the need for the client to have to wait for a response from the server, and runs as business as usual unless the server doesnít like what the client has sent it.

This is huge news, particularly for players in Australia, New Zealand and other high-latency regions that donít have localized servers. Diablo 3 combat looks very fast-paced and the slightest delay would make the game feel rather broken. As well-illustrated by this monk gameplay video.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

42. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 15:06 Darks

Teddy wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:07:
Darks wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:12:
I have a hard time believing that they is NO latency.....seems like a marketing ploy.

Thereís no latency because thereís only a hand full of people playing the game. Take it from a Network Admin, to outright claim there is not latency is absurd. There is always latency and always will be, I donít care how you label it but Blizz is full of shit.

Maybe you should read the statement they made rather than calling them 'full of shit'. They said "Latency no longer matters at all for combat." They never said there is no latency, and more to the point, it wasn't even Blizzard that said it.

What they've suggested is not at all unrealistic. If the client handles the combat and movement calculations and doesn't require that the server respond before it can react to game activity, then the claim is perfectly accurate for your own personal experience.

The questions that remain are simply: What of friends playing with/against you? THAT seems impossible to create a zero latency solution for. And more to the point, what happens when the server doesn't like what the client sends? The theory of an instant disconnect sounds pretty ominous, but then I assume they thought of the possibility of corrupted packets and whatnot.

As well, a consideration is how long the server is willing to wait for it's information and what happens if it's not receiving it as quickly as it would like (issues with satellite connections, etc)

I should been a little clearer on my point on latency, I was referring more on the Coop side of the game. How are they going to handle that side of it and say it doesnít have latency? They said that the player wonít experience it, is that the host? Yes, the host may not have latency, but the clients most likely will. There are way too many other variables to consider when lag comes into play like routers and gateways. Not to mention someoneís ISP or the person you may be playing with Coop and his PC our router may be acting up.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo