Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE: PC is Battlefield 3 "Lead Platform"

Eurogamer has quotes from DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson on leaked Battlefield 3 footage they quashed, saying: "Watching the game in crappy 320x200 resolution on YouTube is not the way that we want people to experience the game." He also responds to console players complaints that they've only shown the PC edition so far, explaining the PC is the lead platform for the military shooter sequel:

"I understand you mostly see PC footage. It's all part of what kind of strategy we use for what we want to show and when, and what the lead platform is," explained Troedsson.

"People shouldn't worry. We play the 360 and the PS3 version every day in the office. I don't expect people to be disappointed by this."

"We always want to show a platform that we have chosen to be our lead platform. In this case we did choose PC as the lead platform; it's the one that has been, mostly, driving development forward. That is the reason why we have spearheaded a lot of the key assets with this as well.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

30. Re: DICE: PC is Battlefield 3 Sep 14, 2011, 02:39 Zardoz5

After hearing DICE's BC2 marketing garbage about locked maps on your hard drive being "free maps" they gave you, having broken joystick controls and a locked FOV in single player that made me not want to play the it, I'll only believe what they say after playing the game for myself. Marketing speak and videos are nice and all, but I'll only believe all of their promises when I see them in game before my eyes.

Caladell wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 22:43:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 22:33:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 22:21:
I hope they do patch one in, as I generally like to join servers with around 16-18 people.

Huh?

I was under the impression that although the server browser isn't ingame that there still is a server browser.

Yep, there is. Just accessed through the Battlelog site. Once you choose a server, the game loads in the background, and a little notification will tell you that it's ready. Optionally, you can have it just switch to the game once it's done loading. Also, as has been said already, loading is a lot faster than the older games. Just yesterday I played a match of BF2, and was seriously annoyed at how long it took to load the map.

Being able to see some game stuff from a browser may be cool, but I'm against the idea of them moving core functionality from the game to a browser. Guess what happens when Bad Company 6 or Medal of Honor 3 come out and tons of ppl are still playing BF3, they can just shutdown the Battlelog page for BF3, oops, your game is now gutted and useless. How long will it be until ads start cropping up in Battlelog, a few months after release? What happens when the Battlelog web page goes down, gets hit by a DDoS, etc, oops, game is down.

I also don't want to have extra crap like a browser running in the background if I don't have too either. Just upgraded my PC so I have tons of resources, but I shouldn't have to have shitty Firefox or IE open to play a game. Also how frequently are DICE going to keep up with Firefox, etc updates? What about surprise Microsoft updates that break its compatibility?

To me DICE yanking out the server browser benefits them a hell of alot more than it benefits us, the user/paying customer. I'm surprised that so many people are just drinking the cool-aid and not thinking about the long term ramifications of this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo