Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3

A post on the Electronic Arts UK Forums outlines DICE's policy on dedicated servers for Battlefield 3, where Mikael Kalms explains that unlike Battlefield 2 and like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the software to run servers will not be released to the public, as game servers will be operated by Ranked Server Providers, even though the option of running a server in unranked mode will be included. This is may impact players in countries with smaller player bases, as they state that they do not plan on making local servers available everywhere: "We try to strike a balance where there are game servers available across the globe, while still keeping the number of RSPs at a level where we can offer reasonable support to each individual company. Since we prefer to work with larger hosting companies, and we focus on countries where we have a larger player base, there will not be game servers available in every country on the planet." There's also word that ranked severs will require PunkBuster, and that DICE will also attempt to make the game work properly with third-party anti-cheating organizations PBBans, GGC-Stream, and PunksBusted, though these are not officially supported. The post also explains the difference between ranked and unranked servers, and offers some details on the administrator interface. As for where servers will be located, they say: "The list of RSPs which will run BF3 game servers at launch is not ready yet. Once it is, we will publilalalala [sic?] widely." Thanks VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

30. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 03:51 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:10:
[...] Don't care what shit EA pulls with this. To the player it doesn't matter who hosts the server

Welcome my son.
Welcome to the machine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo