Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The BlueTower was within the range of yesterday's Virginia earthquake, but it did not last nearly long enough for me to mix a martini to take advantage of the brief shaking we experienced. When I worked for a company that had had offices in the south we used to joke about how they would close up shop if a snow flurry was forecast so they could avoid being caught on the roads. I imagine there are people in more quake-prone zones (like the island of Vanuatu, which has had 16 quakes of magnitude 5.0 or greater in the past week) who would find similar amusement at the reaction to the quake here in the New York area, as while it was magnitude 5.8 at the source causing damage like this (thanks Slashdot) and this (thanks reddit), it was obviously that much milder up here. Not that I'm complaining: This is the second mild quake I've experience in my life, and I certainly hope I never get to experienced a more serious one.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Angry Birds Rio. Thanks Daniel.
ESCAPE.
Zombies vs. Penguins.
Links: A Chinese version of Batmanís origins.
Rear Gear. Thanks Hoop via funny write-up on Stuff.co.nz.
Stories: Steampunk Themed Apartment in Manhattan, Only $1.75 Million. Thanks Neatorama.
Burbank businessman arrested over feeding of birds near airport. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Movie Titles In Movies (Part Deux).
TETRIS - Le Film.
Forrest Gump Auditions.
The Funnies: How To Draw A Spider Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2011, 11:02 nin

It's funny, it's NY that generally gets the bad attitude rap, but a few of the west coast folk seem like jackasses, based on their response to an east coast quake.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo