Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Carmack on RAGE

Carmack on Rage on Gamasutra is an interview with id Software technical director John Carmack, discussing technical details about RAGE, id's upcoming first-person shooter. Topics include MegaTexture, framerates (and how discernable the differences are being 30, 60, and 120 FPS), engine licensing, developing for multiple platforms, integrated graphics (he says they "expect Rage to be able to run 30 frames per second on Sandy Bridge cards), and more.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

33. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 12:50 ^Drag0n^

Theo wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 10:46:
how many of the games valve released since HL2 have been there own internally developed IP?

Being fair to this one, I believe TF2, Portal, Portal2, DOD, L4d, and L4D 2 all count as Valve studio titles.

But, being fair to id, Valves engine is a (heavily modified) engine based Q2-era IdTech core (though there is not much left of that codebase now, as id relinquised any IP claims on Valve-used source (sic.) a long time ago).

id hasn't exactly been slouching either; they've released IP as follows: Quake 4, ET: Quake Wars, QuakeLive, RtCW, Wolfenstein, and several mobile-based IP.

I think JohnC said it best in his interview; people using their tech take resources, and even though most of the above id titles were made by 3rd party developers, when you look through the development credits, you see a lot of id personnel listed, lending credence to John's frustration that Rage really didn't get going until late, as a result of working with other studios working with their tech.

I guess my point is, just because the game is stamped with "Splash Damage" or "Raven," don't think for a second that id isn't knee deep in those projects, as they use their engines and IP.

If memory serves, I think it was announced recently that id just passed 100 employees, which sounds like a lot, but is really quite small or a company managing 3 IP projects and engine licensing.

That issue aside, I found much of what he said about the work on the mobile platform to be very interesting; specifically how he's tried to apply file system optimizations from those projects to their PC version.

Random ramblings, I know. But I do love it when we get an opportunity to hear what and how john thinks about their development process...it's always educational.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo