Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A

Ars Technica has word from Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson that Mojang will indeed go to court, if necessary, to battle over Bethesda's legal action over the Scrolls name. "If we’re going to court, I will fight this for as long as it takes," he said. "It’s a bogus claim, and [Bethesda has] several one-word-named games that share a noun with other games that precede [its] games," noting that RAGE could be viewed as a conflict with Sega's Streets of Rage. He also wryly notes his his recent quirky Q3A challenge to settle this may be ill-advised, as: "If it came to a Quake III tournament, I have a feeling we just might have to change the name," Persson told Wired.com (as Bethesda owns the brand). "In retrospect, Quake III might have been a poor choice."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

42. Re: Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A Aug 21, 2011, 15:38 Mead

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 15:03:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 02:29:
If you don't believe that it could happen, by all means, try and trademark a computer business called "Crazy Apple", and see how long it takes Apple to be sending you a letter.

Of course, if you own a company called iCloud (and have trademarked it), and then Apple names their cloud product iCloud, the courts will suddenly conveniently forget all about the precious trademarks, and will happily suck Steve Jobs' cock.

Trademarks only seem to protect the big guys with lots of lawyers on the payroll.

Creston
Hard to remember about 'the little guy's' trademark when they didn't apply for one in the first place.

Copyright is automatic, trademark is not.

Now back to your regularly scheduled hate-the-big-corp poopfest.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo