Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam

Develop has Gabe Newell's take on some EA games not being sold on Steam, like the recently removed Crysis 2 and the upcoming Battlefield 3. In spite of the indications from EA that this is a result of Steam policy, Valve's managing director seems to indicate this decision is EA's as he takes an upbeat approach to the underlying conflict being a matter of showing "EA itís a smart decision to have EA games on Steam." Here are a few quotes from an upcoming interview that cover the topic:

"Companies have to earn the right to install content on their customers' PCs on a regular basis," he began.

"The same thing is true of Steam. We have to prove we are creating value on an ongoing basis, whether itís to EA or Ubisoft or whoever.

"We really want to show thereís a lot of value having EA titles on Steam. We want EAís games on Steam and we have to show them thatís a smart thing to do," he said.

"I think at the end of the day weíre going to prove to Electronic Arts they have happier customers, a higher quality service, and will make more money if they have their titles on Steam. Itís our duty to demonstrate that to them. We donít have a natural right to publish their games."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 00:04 Nucas

commonperson wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:19:
And at this point either way that's hearsay. I know it's easy to point fingers at the "Evil big company" but right now it's all he said she said. One of the other need to pony up proof, actual proof to validate their case.
why? are we owed some explanation?

this is an internal matter; but internal or not, the intent is obvious: EA wants to make more money. just like when publishers switched to smaller boxes or when digital distribution took hold, the motivation has nothing to do with customer satisfaction. don't delude yourself.

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:01:
So why has Bioware turned into a giant pile of shit?
oh, that's good to know. i mean, it's news to me since all their games are still fantastic but i'll admit i've been out of the loop, replaying mass effect lately.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo