Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A

A GameSpy Reader Q&A talks with Deus Ex: Human Revolution designer Antoine Thisdale about the upcoming action/RPG prequel and includes a recent IGN trailer where Thisdale answers other questions and shows off some gameplay footage. Here's his explanation of why they did away with weapon skills:

That's a very good question, and I have a very good answer. We wanted combat to rely on player skill, and not the fictional character's skill. We wanted to avoid the possibility of just buying the skill for sniper rifles, then you never use a sniper rifle, and later in the game you pick it up because, hey, that's going to be good for this situation -- and you take everyone down because you [bought the skill]. Also, one of the reasons for the skill system not being used is because it really portrays nanotechnology as mechanical. It's more about learning to physically use your body and use the mechanics that go with it, more than a skill-based system. It's kind of the same idea; we just spin it in a different way. But we didn't want it to directly affect combat with weapons. That was a very early choice, specifically because we wanted players to actually train with the weapons.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

52. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 02:19 Jerykk

The other batteries, however, do not automatically regenerate. And if you do not have the faster recharge aug then it does take a long time to fill back up again. In this time you are unable to melee and it makes it harder to cloak/stealth and get away again.

Based on what I played of the leaked build, NPC patrol routes usually don't overlap so you don't need to run away after taking someone out. You just need to take cover and make sure to hide the body behind said cover. Then you just wait until your energy recharges and proceed to the next guard. The energy limitation doesn't make stealth harder, it just makes it longer.

I've been spotted performing melee attacks due to the animation. That would contradict "literally no chance". I have also been subsequently shot at. Maybe we're playing a different version of the game?

Did you perform a lethal takedown? Those make noise and NPCs will hear that after the animation has finished. In the leaked build, if you see another NPC in the background during the takedown cinematic, he will be completely frozen in place. You can try it for yourself but I guarantee the result will be the same.

Maybe four feet? Did you get the Mr Fantastic aug?

No, I just looked down at the floor and estimated the distance. It can be hard to tell because of the perspective and FOV but in real life, the NPC would have definitely been out of arm's reach.

Just like the original Deus Ex. (And I believe you make footstep sounds in HR whilst crouching and moving quickly, unlike DX)

Except in DX, you had to be really close to enemies to land a melee hit so that helped compensate. In DX:HR, you can trigger the takedowns from far away. In addition, your strafe speed is faster than your forward/back speed, so if you strafe while crouched, you move even faster. Finally, no, all crouched movement is completely silent in DX:HR. NPCs will never hear you, no matter how close you are.

Trust me on these things. I went out of my way to test the stealth mechanics quite thoroughly. For example, I discovered that the AI doesn't account for the Y-axis when tracking sounds. It's really easy to test. Just stand on top of the awning outside the plant in the first level and fire your weapons repeatedly. The guards will move towards your position on the X-axis but they'll never actually look up, even if you fire when they're right below you. Also, their vision cones aren't aligned to their eyes but to their root. It's possible that these things been tweaked since the leaked build but I doubt it.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2011, 02:25.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo