Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'll be out and about for a few days next week, so it seemed a good time to upgrade the cellular modem on my laptop to use Verizon's allegedly snazzy 4G LTE network. I say allegedly, because in the brief time I played with it following installation, I was only able to connect to the 3G network, and not very well at that. This may be normal, as I've never had much reason to use a cell connection from within the BlueTower, so I may just be in a bad spot. Hopefully when I'm on the road I will have better luck.

Cellular Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Castaway Island Tower Defense.
Friction Physics.
Links: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books. Thanks Nerdapproved.
Papercrafting the 80s.
7 Nerdy License Plates.
Stories: Mike Myers Plans Fourth "Austin Powers".
Dr. Gordon Freeman cosplayer.
What a "Shooting Star" looks like from space. Thanks Jim.
Media: 8BITS. NSFW.
Evo 2011 Highlights, Justin Wong's unbelievable comeback.
THE EVIL DEAD in 60 seconds with clay. Thanks Auger.
Andy Goes Hillbilly Handfishin'. Thanks nin via Digg.
The Funnies: How the Real-Money Auction House Will Affect Diablo III.
Follow-up: Extended -Walking Dead- Season Two Promo.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 18:46 mag

PHJF wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 17:18:
About half way into Stranger in a Strange Land (unedited) the book takes a turn for the worse. Hoping it gets better before the end. I don't care for the philosophical mumbo jumbo about everyone grokking everything, and the "thou art god" crap.

Oh, and I don't know why Windup Girl wouldn't be in there... that was a great read.

Man, if you're not reading it for the philosophical mumbo jumbo, that book's not for you.

My favorite one to pimp out in recent years is The Book of the New Sun. I'm glad to see it on the list, even down so far.

Edit: After reading through more of the list, it's hard to take too much exception to it. I don't like some of the things on there--but most of my favorite works are present. Going to have to attack some of the ones that I haven't read.

Moar edit: The abridged Stranger has a little less of the mumbo jumbo, but that's still pretty much the focus of the story.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2011, 18:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo