Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Ah, in a welcome change, the humidity around here eased up yesterday. I'd say right now we're up to about eight or ten hours on the chip scale, which is very pleasant.

Pleasant Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Symphonic Tower Defense.
Stories: Perseid Meteor Shower to be Hampered by Full Moon. Thanks Slashdot.
TBS Quietly Kills Lopez Tonight; Is Conan to Blame?
Science: This Drug-Detecting Straw Might Prevent Date Rapes.
Scary Pictures of Steven Tyler.
The Doís and Doníts Of Dating Luke Skywalker.
Media: Valve Visit.
Mega Man Portal Gun of the Day.
NMA: Patent trolls get Farked with $0 settlement.
The Funnies: Nobody Likes Spider-Man At Metal Shows.
Follow-up: SETI Telescopes Will Resume The Hunt For Aliens. S.R. Hadden at work?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2011, 17:54 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:24:

It's kind of similar to saying that you shouldn't bother with anti-virus or anti-malware, because the bad guys will always be able to write something that it can't detect.

The thing is, with the rest of my post, the "danger" is that then people will simply rely on the straw and disregard common sense. It happens with tech today, no reason why it wouldn't happen with chemistry.

That all being said, yes it's cool. And should be pushed out to colleges and every possible store near colleges.

Where I was going with it was:
  • Oh my side-view car's side-radar says nobody is next to me (the light isn't on), I think I'll change lanes. FAIL

• Oh my anti-virus software didn't detect anything, so there must be no problem with me opening this EXE emailed to me by a stranger. FAIL

• Oh the light says I can cross now, if the light says so there's no reason to look both ways. FAIL (and red pavement)

• All of those gadgets and devices are useful, but already I see epic fails with people thinking they can just rely on them instead of common sense.

Eventually: Oh I hate the straw so everything is fine, I'm just going to leave my drink here for a few minutes at a crowded frat party with the straw still in it. Meanwhile a jerk swaps out the straw with a counterfeit and puts in something.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 18:07.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
    Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
    If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
    If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
    Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
    • i[italic text]i
    • u[underline text]u
    • -[strikethrough text]-
    • c[code text]c
    • +[bullet point]+
    • q[quote text (indented)]q
    • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
    • [url=Link]text[/url]
    • r{red text}r
    • g{green text}g
    • b{blue text}b
    • m{maroon text}m
    • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
    2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
    3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
    4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo