Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Million Dollar Dota 2 Tournament

While Dota 2 is not going to be released until later this year, the strategy sequel must be in a pretty playable condition, as Valve announces the game's first public showing is under three weeks off in a Dota 2 tournament called "The International" at Gamescom, which kicks off in Cologne, Germany on August 17. This will be a double-elimination tournament between "the 16 best Dota teams in the world," with the festivities to be broadcast for free live on the web in four languages, and the winners to walk away with a $1 million cash prize. The game's official website lists the 16 teams participating, and here's the announcement:

August 1, 2011 - Valve today announced The International. This tournament will be the first time Dota 2 is shown in public, and will take place August 17th -21st at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany.

The International features the 16 best Dota teams in the world competing in the Dota 2 Championships through a group stage, double elimination playoff format over the course of Cologne's five-day trade show.

The tournament will be broadcast in four languages (Chinese, German, Russian, and English) free of charge. The winning team will receive $1 million.

"The International is the first public Dota 2 event and will give the tens of millions of gamers playing Dota around the world their first look at the new game," said Gabe Newell, president and founder of Valve. "I have had the good fortune to watch the competitors as they prepare for the tournament, and the level of play is extraordinary."

In addition to the cash prizes awarded by Valve, NVidia is providing all the hardware for the event.

Dota 2 will be available for the PC and Mac later this year. For more information on Valve and its games, please visit http://www.dota2.com/

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: Million Dollar Dota 2 Tournament Aug 2, 2011, 10:12 Frijoles

For a million bucks, I'm sure Valve is going to be scrutinizing the matches. Plus they're going to be viewed by thousands of people. And I'm sure there's a clause that says if they exploit they get nothing.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo